"The Reign of Emperor Joker (Part I of V) - It's a Joker World, Baby, We Just Live In It!": In the Watchtower, Superman and Steel look on in shock at the world, reshaped in the Joker's image. Realizing that they have to do something to save the world, the two heroes and Mr. Mxyzptlk get on a shu
Emperor Joker #1 is a one-shot with a cover date of October, 2000. It was published on August 2, 2000.
Appearing in "The Reign of Emperor Joker (Part I of V) - It's a Joker World, Baby, We Just Live In It!"
- Gravedigger Lad
- Lois Lane
- Emperor Joker
- Joker League of Anarchy (First appearance)
- Gorgeous Gilly
- Mister Mxyzptlk
Synopsis for "The Reign of Emperor Joker (Part I of V) - It's a Joker World, Baby, We Just Live In It!"
In the Watchtower, Superman and Steel look on in shock at the world, reshaped in the Joker's image. Realizing that they have to do something to save the world, the two heroes and Mr. Mxyzptlk get on a shuttle and head for the Earth. On the moon's surface, however, Ignition has other plans. He raises a cannon, and blow the ship out of the sky.
On a Metropolis street, Supergirl struggles to keep her thoughts about her, when suddenly a school of Joker piranhas attacks her. She is saved at the last moment by Superboy. She insists that they have to find Superman now.
Superman wakes up to Lois' voice amid flames. He's in Smallville, as are Steel and Mxy. Superman demands to know what happened to his world, and Mxyzptlk proceeds to tell the story. He found Joker and offered him a small portion of power to toy with the world, but Joker tricked him into giving him almost all of his power, and then proceeded to remake the world. Superman and Steel realize that the only way they are going to win back the world is to reunite the JLA, the real JLA.
In Metropolis, the four stand outside of the Hall of Jerkos!, where the JLA stays. Superman asks what has happened to his teammates, and Mxy tells him their fates. Aquaman is a fish that prohibits people from using the water, Wonder Woman a champion for woman's rights, The Flub is the fastest fat man alive, Martian Manhunter is a dwarf who longs to destroy Earth, Plastic Man is a living credit card, and Yellow Paper Lantern makes living shadow puppets. Entering the building, Superman is assaulted by his former friends. Superman finally gets them to stop for a second, when Superboy and Supergirl bust through the roof. The ceiling begins to collapse, but Superman comes to the rescue and catches the falling debris.
In space, Darkseid appeals to the quintessence. Joker has taken the Anti-Life Equation and Darkseid demands that it be given back to him. The quintessence, however, is already under the Joker's power. Suddenly, Joker appears and soon Darkseid falls under his power.
On Earth, Superman attempts to convince the JLA to join him and fight Joker. As he speaks of their commitment, something begins to happen. By the time he is done with his speech, Team Superman stands proudly in their true costumes. The JLA is still reluctant, but Diana seems to be changing. Superman realizes that there may be hope after all.
In Joker's base, Lex Luthor begins to laugh at Joker, saying that he has lost. Joker responds by shooting Lex.
- This issue is Superman navigation number 38/2000.
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: Emperor Joker trade paperback.
- This story-arc follows the "Superman: Arkham" storyline. Recap included in this issue.
- Storyline continues in Superman (Volume 2) #161.
- No trivia.
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- Joker Recommended Reading
- Joker (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Killing Joke
- Batman: The Man Who Laughs
- "Batman: Lovers and Madmen"
- "Batman: A Death in the Family"
- Joker: Devil's Advocate
- Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
- "The Joker's Last Laugh"
- "Superman: Emperor Joker"
- "Superman/Batman: With a Vengeance!"
- The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
- Joker (graphic novel)
Links and References
Action Comics #769: 2000/37
Superman (Volume 2) #161: 2000/39