Professor Eobard Thawne, born on September 1, 2151, was obsessed with The Flash. He spent years figuring out how he came to be, and after managing to duplicate the process that granted the speedster his powers, he successfully managed to gain a connection to the Speed Force. However, he subsequently discovered, through time travel, that he was destined to become The Flash's greatest enemy, and would never become him, causing Eobard to despise his former idol. Becoming the Scarlet Speedster's "reverse", Eobard would then make it his life's mission to take as much as he can from him, travelling through history in order to find the time period the Flash is from and learn his name.
War with The Flash, and Harrison Wells
After their first encounter in 2016, in which he suffered a severe beating at the hands of his nemesis, Eobard would fight the Flash for many years. One day, he learns his enemy's name, and travels back in time to kill him as a child, only for Barry, who had already experienced this from the perspective of a child, his 2015 and 2016 selves, as part of a predestination paradox, to follow him and save his younger self, leaving his mother at Eobard's mercy.After killing Nora Allen, inadvertently resulting in him losing his powers and being stranded in the past, Thawne realized he needed the Flash's speed to go back to his own time. To that end, he orchestrated an elaborate plan involving the murder of Tess Morgan and impersonating scientist Harrison Wells after stealing the scientist's DNA with futuristic technology. Under the guise of Wells, Thawne started STAR Labs and sped up Wells' research by five years, all to further his own goal.
He kept a close watch on Barry, and deliberately let the particle accelerator at S.T.A.R. collapse to create the Flash. When Barry's powers emerged, "Wells" immediately positioned himself as mentor to assist in the development of his powers. Despite regaining his abilities and being faster than Barry, Eobard's connection to the Speed Force was unstable. He continued to train Barry in hopes that he will be fast enough to create a wormhole to allow him to return back to his time. Eobard was erased from existence when Eddie Thawne kills himself, causing a black hole to emerge from the wormhole. 
After Barry traveled back in time and prevented his mother's murder,  Eobard was subsequently taken into the altered present time and made prisoner. He taunted his adversary about the consequences of tampering with the timeline, dubbing the new one "Flashpoint", and was proven correct as Barry's memories of the original timeline started to fade away. Ultimately deciding he needed to undo the change, Barry was forced to release Eobard and return him to the night of Nora's murder in order to allow him to execute it and set the timeline back to its prior version. After doing so, however, Eobard once again taunted Barry by stating everything would not be exactly the same as before the Flashpoint, and fled.
Legion of Doom
Eobard acquired knowledge of an event in his future and sought to change it by travelling throughout time to collect relics, and form partnerships with various individuals to further his own goals, such as Damien Darhk and Malcolm Merlyn. The Legion came up against the Legends of Tomorrow many times while trying to piece together the Spear of Destiny. Eobard wanted the Spear so that he could rewrite reality to save him from death. This is because the Speed Force still saw him as a relic from another universe and tried to erase using their enforcer, the Black Flash. The Black Flash chased him throughout time trying to get him. Eventually, Eobard was caught by the Black Flash and sucked into the Speed Force itself.
- Negative Speed Force Conduit: By duplicating the reaction of the accident that made Barry Allen become the Flash, Eobard's physiology was altered, granting him access to the extradimensional energy source for all speedsters' powers called the Negative Speed Force.
- Superhuman Speed: Eobard is capable of moving at superhuman speeds, appearing as only a blur to the naked eye. He was initially much faster than The Flash. Eobard can also generate great amounts of physical force through the kinetic energy he creates by moving at superhuman speed. His speed lets him channel the force he generates into powerful strikes, able to propel targets several feet.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Because of his great speed, Eobard's reflexes are heightened to superhuman levels, allowing him to react to danger instantly. He is capable of easily reacting to attacks from The Flash.
- Superhuman Agility: Eobard's agility, balance and bodily coordination are far superior to the finest human athlete. He is able to make sharp turns while moving at superhuman speed, without losing balance.
- Superhuman Stamina: Eobard possesses superhuman stamina, which allows him handle the stress of running at superhuman speed, without getting tired or weak.
- Superhuman Durability: Eobard possesses enhanced durability due to his body being adapted to the effects of moving at super-speed. He is able to recover from attack and exertion much quicker than normal humans, and was hardly fazed by a great fall from the roof of the S.T.A.R. Labs building.
- Superhuman Strength: Eobard possesses a degree of enhanced strength. He was strong enough to throw the Flash several yards away with one arm. He has also repeatedly been shown able to easily restrain, or even pick up a full-grown man with a single hand, by their necks.
- Accelerated Healing: Eobard is capable of healing at a rate much quicker and efficiently than regular humans.
- Enhanced Mental Process: Eobard's brain is able to process information at a highly accelerated rate, which allows him to perceive time and events in slow motion, as well as take in and process large amounts of information.
- Enhanced Senses: Eobard's speed extends to his senses, allowing him to see and hear normally when moving at increased speed, even when moving at super-speed, where this would normally be impossible.
- Electrokinesis: Eobard's body generates a powerful red electricity when he is moving at super speed. He is capable of utilizing it to enhance his strikes, and focusing the electricity to make his eyes glow bright red. The great amounts of electricity generated from his body can cause nearby electronics to glitch and fluctuate.
- Molecular Acceleration: Eobard can vibrate his molecular structure at various levels to achieve various effects. He can accelerate the molecules in his throat to distort his vocal cords to disguise his voice.
- Intangibility: Eobard can vibrate his cells, making his body intangible. He frequently uses this power to vibrate his entire body to conceal his identity from others.
- Phasing: Eobard can vibrate any part of his body so fast, that he can phase through people or objects. By vibrating his hand he is able to phase it directly through a person's chest, killing them.
- Speed Mirage: Eobard can use his speed to make it appear as if he's in two places at once, when in reality, he is simply bouncing back and forth too fast for the human mind to perceive the difference.
- Time Travel: Eobard can move fast enough to break open holes in the fabric of time and space, allowing him to travel through time.
- Vortex Creations: Eobard can use his speed to generate air flow as vacuums. By rotating his arms at super speed, Eobard is capable of creating instense vortexes of wind, strong enough to send Firestorm flying blocks away.
- Genius Level Intellect: Eobard declare himself as a genius in the 22nd century levels of science.
- Business Management
- Deception: "Wells" was never injured during the particle accelerator explosion, but has taken advantage of the incident to legitimize his fake paralysis. He also murdered Simon Stagg in order to keep him from exploiting Barry's abilities, keeping this murder a secret from his colleagues.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Unlike Barry, Eobard does not rely on his speed to win fights. He was shown to be a very methodical fighter, striking at precise spots to wear down his opponent. He was able to easily defeat Barry in hand-to-hand combat twice. While temporarily deprived of his speed, Eobard's fighting skills allowed him to temporarily hold his own against the Arrow in a fight.
- Intimidation: Eobard is able to instill fear in others, which is accompanied by his glowing red eyes, and ability to vibrate his vocal chords, to alter his voice into a deep growl.
- Tactical Analysis: Eobard is an expert tactician, as he was able to come up with plans to help Barry Allen defeat the many meta-humans he faced. He also managed to prevent Barry and the rest of his team from figuring out that he was the Reverse-Flash.
- Power Instability (Formerly): Thawne is not in full control of his powers which fluctuate erratically.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series The Flash, its tie-in comic book series, and its related television series. It is an adaptation of Eobard Thawne/Reverse-Flash. The original character was created by John Broome and Carmine Infantino and first appeared in The Flash #139.
- Eobard Thawne is portrayed by Matt Letscher. Tom Cavanagh portrays the character bearing the likeness of Harrison Wells for the majority of The Flash's first season.
- While accessing the Negative Speed Force, Thawne's eyes glow red.
- While his natural hair color is blond, when impersonating Wells, Thawne's hair is dark brown.
- Though Eobard's first appearance occurs in "Pilot", his first chronological appearance (from his perspective) occurs in "Potential Energy".
- 71 Appearances of Eobard Thawne (Arrow)
- 13 Images featuring Eobard Thawne (Arrow)
- 8 Quotations by or about Eobard Thawne (Arrow)
- Character Gallery: Eobard Thawne (Arrow)
- ↑ "Fallout"
- ↑ "The Reverse-Flash Returns"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 "Out of Time"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Tricksters"
- ↑ "Things You Can't Outrun"
- ↑ "The Sound and the Fury"
- ↑ "Pilot"
- ↑ "Fast Enough"
- ↑ "The Race of His Life"
- ↑ "Flashpoint"
- ↑ "Snow Pack"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 12.4 12.5 12.6 12.7 12.8 12.9 "The Man in the Yellow Suit"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 "Rogue Air"
- ↑ "Legion of Doom"
- ↑ "The Trap"
- ↑ "Aruba"
- ↑ "Rogue Air"
- ↑ "Grodd Lives"
|Arrow and Flash television series. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category:Arrow (TV Series) Characters.|
Legion of Doom member