- Don't blame me for the time loop, Barry. You were the fool that had to prove you were the fastest man alive. But, you didn't know about the Speed Force, did you? A force that runs through all of space and time.
- — The Reverse-Flash src
Eobard Thawne, preferring to be known as the Reverse-Flash, is a denizen of the future with a grudge against Barry Allen/The Flash.
Having received similar powers as Barry, Thawne felt he never got the recognition and respect he deserved, due to everyone around him idolizing the Flash, and the history books remembering Barry as the fastest man alive. Researching the Speed Force, Thawne devised a plan that would allow him to trap the Flash, overpower the entire Justice League and become the world's greatest superhero and eventual ruler of the Earth, rewriting the history books so that only he would be remembered as the fastest man alive.
The Reverse-Flash traveled back in time, observing the Justice League's battle against the Joker in Metropolis. As the Flash has arrived late and was chastised by the other superheroes for his tardiness, the Reverse-Flash taunted him from afar, vibrating his molecules and remaining a blur. He tricked the Flash into following him and taunted Barry into increasing his speed further and further in hopes of catching the Reverse-Flash. Their chase led them into the Speed Force's Speedway, with Barry trying to catch Thawne in vain. As the Flash approached the extent of his powers, a tear in space and time would appear in the Speedway, sending him back to the beginning of the day. The Reverse-Flash would continue taunting the Flash and daring him to catch him, sending Barry into the time loop again and again. While Barry was stuck in a loop, Thawne would assume his identity, holographically modifying his appearance to that of the Flash, and lived as the Flash for some time, ruining his reputation among the citizens of Central City and the Justice League. When Barry used the extent of his power to catch Thawne and break the loop, he ended up a few days into the future, in a world where his connection to the Speed Force was severed, the city hated him, and the Justice League members blamed him for pranking them at least 52 times. As the result of the Reverse-Flash's actions, the Flash was fired from the League.
As Barry returned home, he was confronted by the Reverse-Flash, who has assumed the Flash's appearance using a holographic projector. Thawne taunted his counterpart, revealing that he has become a pawn in his plans, wasting his powers in the time loop while the Reverse-Flash turned everyone against him. When the Flash questioned him on his motives, Thawne exasperatedly told him of how the Flash's perfect reputation supposedly harmed and hindered him. He declared himself to be the Reverse-Flash, as he was villainous, while the Flash was heroic, and when Barry suggested that it would make him "Evil Flash" (since he wasn't super-slow or moving in reverse), Eobard noted that now he was also fast, while the Flash was slow. With the Flash defamed, the Reverse-Flash trapped him in electric handcuffs and ran away to assume his new life as world's greatest superhero that the Flash would now never become. However, the Atom was listening to the whole conversation, secretly sent by the League to keep an eye on Barry. He managed to free the Flash from Thawne's electric cuffs, but in the process his Atom belt and the communication system was fried, keeping him in a miniaturized size. Nevertheless, Atom managed to help the Flash contact Doctor Fate, who'd help him to research the secrets of the Speed Force and restore his connection to the mysterious power.
In the meantime the Reverse-Flash has started his superhero campaign, upstaging the Justice League at every corner. He saved the mayor from Poison Ivy, turning her carinovrous plants into a garden for the mayor's campaign ad, and upstaging Firestorm. When Killer Croc kidnapped Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen, the Reverse-Flash arrived and trapped the crocodile-like metahuman, leaving Superman and Plastic Man befuddled. Later he saved a ship's cargo from Deathstroke before Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg could. Traveling to Gotham City, the Reverse-Flash apprehended Oswald Cobblepot at haste, causing Batman to fly into the Penguin's rocket, accidentally activating it, after which the new-found hero quickly raced across a wall, caught the rocket and unbuilt it with his super speed, turning it into a playground. To the impressed citizens all around, the Reverse-Flash would gladly proclaim his alias and boast of his heroics and love for helping people in need. Afterwards, he'd apprehend the Trickster, Lex Luthor, and Cheetah. Proving himself as the fastest man alive, the Reverse-Flash was succesfully taking down any threat in the world before the Justice League could react, making him the most popular superhero in the world, to the point that he's managed to get more friends on "Herobook" than Superman himself. When Batman decided to lead the League on a mission to sneak upon the Reverse-Flash's appearance on a TV show and see if slips up and reveals crucial information, Eobard would crack jokes about the Justice League members together with the mayor of Metropolis, and was granted the Key to the City. When the League members have ungracefully fallen upon the stage, revealing their presence, the mayor and the Reverse-Flash rubbed their weakness in their faces, calling them the "Jobless League". To that, Batman has announced that the League would require, and returned to their base, waiting for the Reverse-Flash's next move.
However, his newly-found popularity in a world without the Flash was not enough for Eobard Thawne. He desired even more speed, and for that he's awaited until Doctor Fate and Zatanna would lead the Flash to the Speed Force nexus, to take the trials necessary to restore his Speed Force connection. Knowing the mechanics of the Speed Force, but not wishing to risk his life on trials, the Reverse-Flash observed as the Flash has slowly figured out the way to solve all challenges and reached the Speed Force nexus, absorbing which would grant its user ultimate speed. Before he could do so, however, the Reverse-Flash has outran Barry, siphoning the Speed-Force nexus for himself, and comparing the taste of its power to consuming "52 milkshakes and a jar of jellybeans". He taunted the Flash again, leaving him with weakened powers alone in the Speed Force. Returning to Earth, the Reverse-Flash has appeared on the Justice League's monitors, flaunting his victories and revealing that he reprogrammed Cyborg's and Batman's security measures to hunt the League members and target their weaknesses. He then used special bricks from the Speed Force zone to encircle the League's headquarters with a gigantic statues of himself, trapping them. When Superman and Firestorm tried to break or transmute the bricks, the Speed Force energy rebukes their efforts. The Reverse-Flash then constructed more statues across the world and broadcasted himself upon the Daily Planet news channel, saying that now that he's managed to rid Earth of crime completely, all the world's citizens should thank him by reporting to the statues and working alongside his orders, building new monuments in his honor and celebrating the Reverse-Flash as the only fastest man alive.
As the Reverse-Flash delivered his speech, he was confronted by the reinforced Justice League, who armed their vehicles with Speed Force bricks, delivered by the Flash from Speed Force zone. They split up to destroy the Reverse-Flash's statues, forcing him to concentrate on moving so fast he'd be at multiple location at the same time. This hubris caused the Reverse-Flash to be distracted, unable to stop the League from destroying the statues, and also unable to notice the incoming Flash, who, while the Reverse-Flash was vibrating to multiply himself, phased through him and took the Speed Force nexus point, taking it for himself. Exasperated on being outsmarted, the Reverse-Flash fumed at his rival, who has taunted him in return. While reminding Barry that without his knowledge the Flash would never even found out about the source of speedsters' powers, Eobard was still taunted by the Flash's teasing, and made the same mistake as his archnemesis, running onto the Speedway and overloading his Speed Force connection while trying to outrun the nexus-powered Flash. This has severed the Reverse-Flash's Speed Force connection, robbing him of his powers and allowing the Justice League to safely imprison him. Eobard was thrown into a shared prison cell, with his cellmated being Killer Croc, obviously angry at Thawne for thwarting him before. Depowered and broken, the Reverse-Flash trembled before the physically overpowering metahuman as the cell's doors closed before him.
Powers and Abilities
- Speed Force Conduit: Speed force conduits possess a connection to the Speed Force, a cosmic force that allows its users to push the boundaries that keep time and space. As a conduit of the Speed Force, all aspects of their physiology are accelerated and enhanced.
- Accelerated Healing: By having a connection to the speed force, every speed force conduit has an incredibly fast healing factor and can heal from most injuries in seconds and devastating injuries in minutes.
- Enhanced Senses: The Speed Force enhances the speedster's senses, allowing them to perceive and process thoughts faster than the normal person.
- Phasing: Speed Force conduits can tap into the Speed Force to vibrate their molecules in a way to achieve intangibility for short bursts, allowing them to phase through objects.
- Speed Force Aura: The Speed Force manifests an aura around the speedster and whatever they are carrying, protecting them from adverse effects of their speed, such as friction with the air.
- Superhuman Stamina: The Speed Force grants its conduits with a great increase of stamina, allowing them to fight or run much longer than the average person. Although a great increase, it is not unlimited.
- Superhuman Speed: The universal factor of being a Speed Force conduit grants its user with imperceptible amounts of speed. All powers that conduits possess derives from their speed.. This also confers:
- Superhuman Agility: The speedster's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to superhuman levels. This allows them to easily maneuver while moving at superhuman speed.
- Superhuman Reflexes: In conjunction with their enhanced senses, The speedster's reflexes are heightened immesurably, allowing them to dodge or react faster than normal.
- Vortex Creations: Speed Force conduits are able to create vortices of air by running in circles or rotating their extremities at super-speed. These vortices can be used for a number of effects.
- Obsession: Obsessed with upstaging the Flash and other superheroes, the Reverse-Flash has gone drunk on power and was succesfully distracted by the League and defeated by Barry. Ultimately, he was destroyed by his very own trick, now used by the Flash, who has realized that Thawne's obsession to be the fastest man alive was even greater than his own.
- Speed Force connection overload
- Hologram projector belt
- Curiously, this version of the character was called only "the Reverse-Flash", and never "Professor Zoom".
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the Lego DC Heroes and is an adaptation of Eobard Thawne/Professor Zoom. The original character was created by John Broome and Carmine Infantino and first appeared in The Flash #139.
- The Reverse-Flash was voiced by Dwight Schultz.
- 1 Appearances of Eobard Thawne (Lego DC Heroes)
- 1 Images featuring Eobard Thawne (Lego DC Heroes)
- 1 Quotations by or about Eobard Thawne (Lego DC Heroes)
- Character Gallery: Eobard Thawne (Lego DC Heroes)