Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- This is the essential Etrigan. An all-powerful demon king. Who would never condescend to rhyme.
- — Etrigan src
Etrigan is a rhyming demon in the service of Lucifer.
Not content with his life, he attempted a rebellion, which did not succeed. For his insolence and betrayal, he was banished to Belial's son Merlin, who had asked Hell for a means to protect Camelot. He fused Etrigan to the rebellious scribe Jason of Norwich, and they would walk Earth together, cursed to live with each other.
Main article: Doomsday Clock Vol 1
After Superman is framed and rendered comatose, Etrigan joined the group of heroes heading towards Mars to confront their mysterious enemy. The heroes meet and engage Doctor Manhattan, but they are easily defeated.
Powers and Abilities
- Demonic Physiology
- Accelerated Healing
- Hellfire Projection: Etrigan is able to fire blasts of hellfire from his hands. He can fire a constant stream like a flamethrower or a more concentrated single burst of fire.
- Immortality: Like all demons, Etrigan is incapable of dying via old age. Etrigan has lived for at least several millennia and he remains in what equates to his prime.
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Strength
- Power Limitation: The more time Etrigan spends on earth the weaker he becomes. At some point he must return to hell in order to replenish his energies.
- Yellow Power Ring: (Formerly)
- Etrigan was created by Jack Kirby, first appearing in The Demon #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Etrigan first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Demon Knights #1 by Paul Cornell and Diogenes Neves.
- Etrigan is considered the strongest of the "Champion" classification, magical beings whose soul, be it god or demon, are bonded to a another human's.
- Etrigan is dating Madame Xanadu. But so is Jason Blood.
- Unlike his New Earth counterpart, Etrigan refuses to speak in rhymes. He sees it as a sign of a servant, since Satan himself does not and all powerful demons who serve under him do. For reasons unknown in the current timeline, Etrigan is rhyming as he had before Flashpoint, after the end of the Demon Knights. However, he is not beholden to this structure, and does break it when he feels he wants to.
- After Flashpoint, Jason Blood words to summon Etrigan has changed. The new words are "Concealed within the form of man. Release the demon, Etrigan!"
- 119 Appearances of Etrigan (Prime Earth)
- 40 Images featuring Etrigan (Prime Earth)
- 11 Quotations by or about Etrigan (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Etrigan (Prime Earth)
|The Demon supporting cast|
This character has been an ally or antagonist to either The Demon Etrigan or his counterpart Jason Blood in any of their various incarnations.
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
|Sinestro Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Sinestro Corps, chosen by Sinestro to counteract the Green Lantern Corps and spread terror throughout their sector with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Sinestro Corps members category."
Suicide Squad member