Faora Hu-Ul is a Kryptonian serial killer and enemy to Superman. Cunning and ruthless, Faora is a very dangerous, vicious fighter thanks to her mastery of Horu-Kanu, the deadliest Kryptonian combat art.
Born on Alezar on planet Krypton and a self-professed "man-hater", Faora targeted only male Kryptonians and ran a concentration camp where she kept other Kryptonians as slaves. Faora Hu-Ul claimed over twenty-three lives before she was arrested. Tried and convicted on the 52nd of Belyuth in the year 10,000, Faora was sentenced to over three-hundred years of incarceration inside the Phantom Zone.
As Faora was trapped inside the Phantom Zone, she, along with many others, survived the destruction of Krypton. She met other Phantom Zoners including military leaders Dru-Zod and Jax-Ur. Jax-Ur's knowledge of Jewel Kryptonite technology paved the way for their escape, and they broke free of the Phantom Zone where they inevitably came into conflict with their home world's last surviving son - Superman.
Faora found a way out of the Zone when she telepathically contacted Jackson Porter, an elderly, lonely widower who lost his wife Kathleen fifteen years before. Faora masqueraded as his wife's ghost, forging a mindlink powerful enough to cut through the dimensional barrier. Gradually she became strong enough to leave the Zone during short lapses of time which she used to test her powers, wrapping herself in mists from the Zone to avoid to be found.
Eventually Faora convinced Porter to take up residence at 344 Clinton Street in Metropolis, next door to Clark Kent, aka, Superman. Knowing Clark Kent owned an artifact which would allow her to emerge out of the Zone completely, Faora also got naive Mr. Porter steal it.
Once free, Faora challenged Superman to a duel. Faora was winning thanks to her brutal fighting style, but she inadvertently broadcast her plan to make the Phantom Zoners switch places with the people of Earth. Superman pretended to flee and then he sent himself into the Zone before Faora's devices caused the switch.
After the Phantom Zoners broke free, Faora smashed to bits Superman's Phantom Zone Projector, believing him to be still in the Zone, and proclaimed she was the Zoners' new leader. However, Superman found and reprogrammed Faora's dimensional-phaser to send Faora and her partners back to the Zone.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Faora possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Faora's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Faora can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Faora's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Faora's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Faora can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Faoras can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Faora can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Faora is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Faora is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Faora is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Faora's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Faora is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Faora is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Phantom Form While she existed in the Phantom Zone, Faora Hu-Ul was effectively immortal, and would not age or die.
- Psychic Bolts: She was able to project psychic bolts that weakened even Kryptonians from the Phantom Zone. Superman, having been raised years under a yellow sun, is not susceptible to this attack.
- Telepathy: Faora could telepathically communicate, and sometimes she could do it uncounsciounsly.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Faora possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- This version of Faora, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Faora is one of the few Kryptonians from Earth-One possessing psychic powers, the others being Nadira and Az-Rel.
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- 15 Appearances of Faora Hu-Ul (Earth-One)
- 3 Images featuring Faora Hu-Ul (Earth-One)
- 3 Quotations by or about Faora Hu-Ul (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Faora Hu-Ul (Earth-One)
- Faora at dccomics.com
- Faora at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman at TV Tropes
- Superman at Supermanica
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."