"Baby, the Rain Must Fall": Firestorm awakens in the middle of New York Bay. Professor Stein begins screaming in his head indicating that they are now in the process of drowning. Ronnie Raymond shakes the cobwebs from his eyes and flies
- Then how about this Ronald? While you sit there playing catch-up…WE'RE DROWNING!
Appearing in "Baby, the Rain Must Fall"
- Cliff Carmichael
- Doreen Day
- Harry Carew
- Jefferson Jackson
- Quentin Quale
- Coach Mason
- David Drake Jr. (Typhoon's son) (First appearance)
- Ed (a Long Island police officer) (Single appearance)
- Lisa Drake (Typhoon's daughter) (First appearance)
- Lou Shepard (Sarah Drake's new husband) (First appearance)
- Sarah Marilyn Drake-Shepard (Typhoon's ex-wife) (First appearance)
- Wally (a student at Bradley High School) (Single appearance)
- New York City
- Long Island
Synopsis for "Baby, the Rain Must Fall"
Firestorm awakens in the middle of New York Bay. Professor Stein begins screaming in his head indicating that they are now in the process of drowning. Ronnie Raymond shakes the cobwebs from his eyes and flies out of the bay. Angrily, he storms directly into the path of Typhoon's destruction. He unleashes a massive expulsion of nuclear energy and Typhoon disappears. The colossal feat proves taxing to Firestorm however and he instantly separates in mid-air. Fortunately, Ronnie and Martin only fall roughly twelve feet before slamming into a rooftop.
The following day, Ronnie attends class at Bradley High School. He gets into another fracas with the school jerk, Cliff Carmichael. Ronnie is finally fed up with Cliff's antics and punches him in the face, breaking Cliff's glasses. Doreen Day once again intervenes, and keeps the two boys from tearing each other to pieces. Ronnie and Cliff agree to a rematch after school.
Meanwhile, Typhoon has disguised himself in a hat and trench coat and travels to Riverhead, Long Island. He watches over his family and briefly speaks with his ex-wife's new husband, Lou Shepard. Agonizing over the fact that his family is forever lost to him, Typhoon walks along a suspension bridge. Two police officers stop him, believing that he is preparing to commit suicide. Typhoon discards his disguise and begins wielding his awesome powers once again.
Later, Ronnie and Cliff finally meet after class. Cliff has been secretly working out, in preparation for the day that he might finally get to beat up on Ronnie Raymond. Fortunately for Cliff, Ronnie's shoulder is still sore from the twelve-foot drop he suffered earlier. Cliff easily beats Ronnie up, but is discouraged to see Doreen rushing to Ronnie's aid.
Ronnie and Stein eventually discover that Typhoon is on the loose again. They change into Firestorm and fly into the heart of Times Square. Ronnie wants to attempt another massive energy explosion, but Stein is steadfastly against it. Ronnie ignores Stein's concerns, realizing that this may in fact be the only way to stop Typhoon. Firestorm unleashes another massive expulsion of nuclear energy lighting up the entire sky. Typhoon disappears during the spectacle and all of his weather-controlled effects dissipate.
- This book was first published on November 4, 1982.
- This story continues from last issue.
- This is the first actual appearances of Sarah Drake, Lisa Drake and David Drake Jr. The previously made cameo flashback appearances in Firestorm (Volume 2) #8.
- This comic book features advertisements for the following products:
- —Mattel Electronics Atari video games
- —Bubble Yum bubble gum
- —Revell Magnum P.I. 308 GTS Ferrari model kit
- —TSR Dungeons & Dragons Endless Quest which-way books
- —Lifesavers roll candy and lollipops
- —Remco Sgt. Rock action figure accessories
- —Magic Snake novelty toy (featuring Superman)
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Firestorm Vol 2 9 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Firestorm series
- Firestorm Recommended Reading
- Firestorm (Volume 1)
- The Flash (Volume 1): The Flash #289– #304
- Firestorm (Volume 2)
- Justice League of America (Volume 1): Justice League of America #179– #225 & Justice League of America Annual #1–2
- Extreme Justice (Volume 1)
- JLA #69– #82
- Identity Crisis #5
- Firestorm (Volume 3)
- Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Men (Volume 1)
- Legends of Tomorrow (Volume 1)