- I don't see it. I'm not fast enough. The experts told me there never was a magic bullet. The one that shattered my spine was the same one that wounded Governor Connally... fired from the depository building. No magic bullet. Only my imagination.
Synopsis for "Flashpoint"
The quadraplegic Barry Allen is woken up from dreams of speed by his wife Iris West. Space scientist Wally West is leading a team including James Jesse to Mars, and Barry monitors him as they attempt to excavate some of the ancient artifacts. The first device that Wally picks up begins vibrating uncontrollably, then he is struck by alien lightning and reduced to a twitching blur on the ground.
Back on Earth at the Flash-Space Museum, a tour guide recants Barry's origins as a super-hero and how his career ended when he took the bullet meant for John F. Kennedy. Inside the museum private detective Ralph Dibny supplies information about the Allen Family to a mysterious stranger who refuses to reveal his interests.
Iris attempts to rush Wally in his current condition to the only man who can help him, their dear friend Vandal Savage. Barry continues to have nightmares about the Kennedy assassination and the mystery behind the magic bullet that was able to wound him at super-speed. His mind still moves at incredible speeds even though his body no longer can. Iris criticizes him for acting like a martyr to her because he can't dump his emotional problems on anyone else. Savage operates on Wally with the help of cryogenic scientist Leonard Snart. Jesse kills a guard on hand and steals the device that caused West's condition.
Appearing in "Flashpoint"
- Captain Boomerang (Flashback only)
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (Flashback only)
- Francis Gary Powers (Flashback only)
- John F. Kennedy (Flashback only)
- Mirror Master (Mentioned only)
- The Top (Mentioned only)
- Berlin (In dream sequence only)
- Central City
- Dallas, Texas (Flashback only)
- Havana, Cuba (Flashback only)
- Vietnam (Flashback only)
- Reprinted in Elseworlds: Justice League Vol. 3.
- The Flash Recommended Reading