A member of the Navajo, Flying Cloud was named after a cloud resembling an Amerindian brave riding a horse. Johnny often saw a cloud in this shape when he was a boy, and imagined himself to be the rider in the cloud. From a child onward, Johnny Cloud faced racial prejudice. He later joined the U.S. Army Air Force during fight in World War II.
He became a lieutenant and fighter pilot, but was grounded at first, possibly by a C.O. who was prejudice against Flying Cloud. After disobeying orders and commandeering a plane, Lt. Cloud saved a patrol of fighters from a Nazi fighter ambush. Though his C.O. was angry, he allowed Lt. Cloud to begin patrols. Cloud preformed these solo until one day when a rookie was ordered to join him. They were attacked and the rookie perished. Cloud became distraught that he lost the young man's life. Since then Cloud felt responsible whenever a pilot under his command died.
Cloud had a brilliant career as leader of the air patrol known first as "the Happy Braves" and later as "C-for-Cloud Flight." Throughout his flights, he continued to see the cloud resembling a brave riding a stallion, and it inspired him in his missions. One fateful day, Cloud and several other pilots were told to assist the Haunted Tank retake a town. Cloud crashed his plane and was picked up by the Haunted tank and met Captain Storm, and Marines Gunner and Sarge. After succeeding in their mission, Cloud joined up with the outfit code-named The Losers.
During a mission with the rest of the Losers, they stumble upon a unit that had been wiped out by the Nazis. Through use of the radio, they discover this unit was meant to take out an artillery battery that was hounding Sgt. Rock's Easy Company. The Losers decided to help by finishing the mission. They are successful, but all of the Losers perish. Lt. Cloud is the last one killed, by a Nazi fighter plane, and invokes the ancestral spirits of the Navajo.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 102 Appearances of Flying Cloud (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Flying Cloud (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Flying Cloud (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Flying Cloud (New Earth)