"Forever and a Day!": The Forever People appears at Donald's apartment. Donny recognizes them, but he can't remember where or when he met them. Mr. Knight tells him to ignore these "lies", but Donald is tired of being used by him. By rejecting him, Donald rejects T
- I told you, my children: Earth is your home. Your home now-- and forever.
- — Maya
Synopsis for "Forever and a Day!"
The Forever People appears at Donald's apartment. Donny recognizes them, but he can't remember where or when he met them. Mr. Knight tells him to ignore these "lies", but Donald is tired of being used by him. By rejecting him, Donald rejects The Dark, and this makes him remember what he kept in check for years when he and his uncle first met the Forever People. The revelation of Donald's memory makes Mr. Knight lose his human form, turning into a creature of living darkness. The shadows try to reach Donald, but the Forever People surround him, resisting and dispelling the darkness. Donald's wife walks into the room and is surprised to see the guests.
The Forever People explains that The Dark blocked Donald's memories of his first encounter with them, and sensing his talents as a writer that can touch people's hearts, Mr.Knight tried to corrupt him to spread The Dark's words in the world. Donald remembers his uncle, how he inspired him to turn into a writer. Serifan says that that was the moment The Dark started whispering in his ear, playing with his mind. Donald asks for one of the Cosmic Cartridges, and Donny uses it to show Nancy indescribable cosmic images he saw when he was a kid. The couple is back in their apartment, but the Forever People are gone. But Donald will never forget them again, and now he is ready to write the book he always wanted to write.
Elsewhere, Maya reveals to the Forever People who she really is. She floats and shines with a glow that makes them see and feel the memories of the past. Maya talks about the eternal struggle between chaos and order, reflected in the war between Apokolips and New Genesis, and how this struggle is reaching its most crucial point, with Earth playing an important role in this cosmic struggle. Maya also reveals their origins: each one of them was chosen by Highfather and taken from different points of Earth's history. Their lives on Earth would've been painful and short, so he took them to raise them in New Genesis.
The Forever People realize they were destined to return to Earth and protect it, and all those years they spent in Adon helped them mature. Serifan asks Mark Moonrider to forgive him, and the two friends hug in reconciliation. Mark asks Maya how does she know all this, and how was she able to merge with the Infinity Man. Before answering, she uses her last remnants of energy to give them a new Super-Cycle. Maya dies, and she vanishes, turning into a Mother Box. Vykin explains she told him that when the Mother Box exploded in Adon, she was too weak to materialize her form, and she sought for the essence of the Infinity Man. The Forever People join hands with the Mother Box and, feeding her with their minds and love, they revive Maya. But this results in a temporary measure, because Fyre appears and attacks the group. Mark is ready to fight her, but Maya uses the last of her energy to protect them. She explodes and transfers her spirit into Beautiful Dreamer's womb.
Days later, the Forever People are decided to keep protecting Earth. As they drive away on the Super-Cycle, Dreamer reveals she is pregnant again.
Appearing in "Forever and a Day!"
- Justice League International (Flashback only)
- New Guardians (Flashback only)
- Guardians (Flashback only)
- Zamarons (Flashback only)
- Highfather (Flashback only)
- Hitler (Flashback only)
- Jesus (Flashback only)
- Ponce de León (Flashback only)
- Kennedy (Dies in flashback)
- Ku Klux Klan (Flashback only)
- Infinity Man (Mentioned only)
- Apokolips (Flashback only)
- New Genesis (Flashback only)
- The Source (Flashback only)
- This is revealed that the Forever People members are earthlings from different historical periods: Mark Moonrider or Beautiful Dreamer is from some medieval country (Mongolia?); Serifan is son of American West pioneers; Vikyn is from some African province (Ethiopia? Egypt?) of Roman Empire (his father being a legionary)
- This issue infers that some historical facts were manipulated by the New Gods in some degree: the crucifixion, (Salem witch trials, the Nazi ascension, J.F. Kennedy's assassination, Ku Klux Klan, Africa famine, etcetera.
- During Maya's flashbacks, she shows images from the events Crisis on Infinite Earths and Millennium.