Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Captain Gabi Kane is the mother of Kate Kane (who later became Batwoman) and her identical twin Beth Kane. A member of the US Army's 525th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade, she married another soldier, Jacob Kane. Both Kanes worked extensively with military intelligence services, and often moved as a result, even after their children were born.
Eventually, the Kanes moved from Fort Bragg, North Carolina to Brussels, Belgium, since the parents were now serving at NATO. The family, however, was torn apart due to a terrorist attack. As Gabi was taking her daughters for their 12th birthday, they were kidnapped by heavily armed men. Military intelligence eventually located the hostages, and Jacob was put in charge of the tactical unit sent to rescue them. However, they were too late, as Gabi had been executed along with Beth. Jacob rescued Kate himself, but she was traumatized by the sight of her dead mother and sister.
- Gabrielle Kane was created by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III, first appearing in Detective Comics #855. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Gabrielle Kane first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Batwoman (Volume 2) #27 by Marc Andreyko and Jeremy Haun.
- Gabi had a tattoo of the Special Forces arrowhead insignia on her right bicep; her daughter Kate later copied this.
- 13 Appearances of Gabrielle Kane (Prime Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Gabrielle Kane (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Gabrielle Kane (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Gabrielle Kane (Prime Earth)