Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- If I fell out of a plane, I could change into an eagle. If I was drowning in the ocean, I could change into a dolphin. Change can be good. And necessary. But change can't help me when I'm struggling on the inside.
- — Beast Boy src
Beast Boy is Garfield "Gar" Logan, a young superhero with the power to take the form of any animal. He is a member of the Teen Titans.
Garfield Logan was among hundreds of young metahumans held captive by the organization N.O.W.H.E.R.E., experimented on at the shadowy organizations gigantic underground base, the Colony. He was forced to participate in the annual Culling tournament, where the captives held by N.O.W.H.E.R.E. were forced to either kill or be killed.
Along with the Teen Titans and time-displaced members of the Legion of Super-Heroes, Beast Boy joined a group of captives who, instead of playing the deadly game as expected, decided to break out of the Colony. With the help of Dr. Caitlin Fairchild, Beast Boy escaped with several other refugees from the Colony.
After escaping, Beast Boy and another refugee named Terra separated from the main group of refugees. While Harvest, the leader of N.O.W.H.E.R.E., claimed to have meant to scatter his subjects around the world, he took a special interest in tracking down Gar and bringing him back into N.O.W.H.E.R.E. Meanwhile, Gar began to have strange visions of a dangerous man bathing in blood.
After his fellow Ravagers were taken, Beast Boy was left for dead in the rubble of the facility. Eventually he was approached by Raven, who proceeded to touch him. After he awoke he asked if Harvest had sent her for him, however Raven began to take over Garfield's mind and teleported them to New York. She planned to use him as her minion in the battle between her father Trigon and the Teen Titans. Beast Boy and Raven appeared before the Titans during their battle with Psimon. Under Raven influence, Beast Boy pulled the Titans and Psimon away from their fight. When Psimon killed the police reinforcements, Beast Boy saw him and squeezed him, resulting in both of them cancelling out each other's powers and rendering each other unconscious. Beast Boy regained consciousness during the Teen Titans' fight against Trigon and his sons in New York City, and assisted them in battle.
When all of Earth's greatest heroes were gone and the Crime Syndicate of America had taken over the world, the Teen Titans attempted to challenge the Crime Syndicate. However, they were easily overpowered by Johnny Quick and Atomica and were then flung into the time stream.
Some time after leaving the Teen Titans, Garfield tried to find meaning in his life by throwing a wild party in an abandoned house. After he failed to impress a girl he liked, he found himself knocked out and awoke in an unknown location alongside Starfire, his former teammate Raven, and the new Kid Flash. Garfield and the others found out that they had been kidnapped by Robin who intended for them to join his new incarnation of the Teen Titans, as he needed their help to take down his grandfather Ra's al Ghul and the League of Assassins.
Powers and Abilities
- Unique Physiology: Garfield's genetic code contains a "metagene" that allows him to tap into The Red. Garfield's connection to The Red allows for a genetic sense memory as well as a propensity for replication and transmutation of his own body.
- Encyclopedic Animal Knowledge: Beast Boy is aware of even the most obscure details about animal biology, behavior and statistics, which he uses to his advantage when the situation requires the skill of a particular animal.
- Monstrous Appearance (Formerly): After the events of No Justice, Beast Boy lost control over his powers, and his default form was a hulking, hunch-backed creature. He regained control over his form after a journey in the Bleed purged the Source energy from his body.
- Beast Boy was created by Arnold Drake and Bob Brown, first appearing in Doom Patrol #99. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Beast Boy first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Teen Titans Annual (Volume 4) #1 by Tom DeFalco, Scott Lobdell, and Brett Booth.
- Garfield's human hair color is brown.
- Beast Boy was originally portrayed with red skin to tie him into the Red, but his skin color was changed back to green in Teen Titans (Volume 5) #1. This change was never addressed.
- Garfield is a vegetarian, as he sees eating meat as cannibalism. This is due to the fact that he's tranformed into most edible animals.
- Gar is dating Raven
- 219 Appearances of Garfield Logan (Prime Earth)
- 107 Images featuring Garfield Logan (Prime Earth)
- 11 Quotations by or about Garfield Logan (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Garfield Logan (Prime Earth)
Doom Patrol member
|Teen Titans member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the younger superhero team known as the Teen Titans, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Teen Titans members" category.
|Titans member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the superhero team known as the Titans, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Titans members" category.
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.