- I've had it with being pushed around. I never wanted any of this to begin with, but since I'm stuck with it -- it's time I dictated a few terms of my own. Now hear this. I am not your slave. I'm a free man-- a fellow being, for grok's sake. I demand a little dignity -- a little respect. From now on, I get treated as an equal. Understood?
- — Garryn Bek src
Garryn Bek was a member of L.E.G.I.O.N.
Garryn Bek was a police officer on the planet Cairn, a world notorious for its high levels of crime, corruption and drug trade. In its heyday, a large portion of the illegal drugs distributed in the area were grown on Cairn. He lived their with his wife Marij'n Bek.
The planets population had the highest addiction rate in the Galaxy, approaching hundred percent in areas. The police force that Garryn Bek belonged to was also corrupt and under the control of drug lords, who were headed by Kanis-Biz, Garryn's father-in-law.
When the Dominators arrived to conquer the planet, the corrupt government surrendered some of it's people. Cairn like many other worlds showed their compliance with the Dominators' plans.
His father-in-law Kanis-Biz was only happy to offer Garryn Bek as Cairn's prisoner. He was taken to the Starlag prison, where he befriended some of the other captives. His slavery would not last long, with the help of Vril Dox II and Captain Comet, he rebelled against the Dominators and fought against them during their invasion of Earth.
After their victory, the group went with Vril Dox II to his home planet of Colu. They were successful in shutting down Computer Tyrants who had conquered his people. But without the Computer Tyrants to guide it, the Coluans society practically self-destructed.
Vril Dox II became a messiah to his people, which gave him the idea to form a new police force to replace the former Green Lantern Corps. Garryn Bek and the others were hesitant to join, but ultimately decided that it might be a good idea to stick around, to keep an eye on Vril Dox II.
The band then journeyed to Cairn to take out Kanis-Biz, then they turned the entire police force into the group called L.E.G.I.O.N.. After being controlled by the Emerald Eye of Ekron, Bek and his wife Marij'n defected to the side of the R.E.B.E.L.S. He is now a member of the new L.E.G.I.O.N.
Powers and Abilities
- Administration: Garryn Bek is unparalleled in police administration and bureaucracy. He is able to fill out any form or reports perfectly, with the added ability to find mistakes and loop holes when necessary.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- Emerald Eye of Ekron (Formerly): Allows the owner the ability to command its near-infinite powers. The responds to the beholder's will and can produce an energy used for concussive force, force fields and even mental manipulation.
- Bek was one of the minor heroes the Great Carlini believed to be expendable that was sent to try and save the Lobo series from becoming too violent. He was killed by Lobo, along with several other characters pulled from Comic Limbo, in a barroom brawl. Due to the highly meta nature of the storyline and the fact almost all of the deceased characters appeared again in mainstream continuity, these deaths do not appear to be canon. Bek appeared alive again during Infinite Crisis.
- 79 Appearances of Garryn Bek (New Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Garryn Bek (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Garryn Bek (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Garryn Bek (New Earth)