- Too Bad, Spike, we couldn't accept Shaw's offer -- but we test the Navy bomber any day now!
- — Gary Hawkes src
In the mid-1930s Gary Hawkes worked as a test pilot and flight instructor, until his plane got stolen and his student got kidnapped. It took him three days to straighten out that mess, most of which he spent as a fellow hostage with Miss Darroll.
Powers and Abilities
- Aviation Gary Hawkes could fly a dive bomber.
Hawkes owned at least two civilian airplanes: a training plane and a racer.
Towards the end of his recorded adventures, Hawkes packed a semiautomatic sidearm and at least one of his planes packed a swivel-mounted machine gun.
- The Gary Hawkes series ran in More Fun Comics from More Fun Comics #36 (Oct 1938) to issue #46 (Aug 1939).
- It sometimes was billed as Gary Hawkes, Knight of the Skies.
- Final panel of the last story ends with "The End," which is usually not the case with these Golden Age features.
- Gary Hawkes smoked a pipe.
- This strip's first and last episodes were printed in black & white.
- 11 Appearances of Gary Hawkes (Earth-Two)
- 1 Images featuring Gary Hawkes (Earth-Two)
- 2 Quotations by or about Gary Hawkes (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Gary Hawkes (Earth-Two)