- But how can I be Gavyn and Will Payton, too? I recall my whole life... my sister... Look, my face... it returns with a thought... and feels true.
- — Prince Gavyn src
Gavyn was the spoiled playboy prince of an alien empire which contained some twenty-four inhabited worlds. Gavyn was the Prince of the planet Kranaltine, the Throneworld of the Crown Imperial.
Upon the death of Emperor Rilsom XVIII his more mature sister, Clryssa, became Queen and due to an ancient royal custom, where only one heir may claim the throne without unrest, he was thrown out of a spaceship airlock to his death.
While Gavyn was floating in the void of outer space, a mysterious mystic named Mn'Torr retrieved him. Together they learned that Gavyn already possessed the power of the stars. Mn'Torr bestowed upon Gavyn a set of jeweled wristbands and a staff, which allowed him to channel his cosmic powers into the ability to fly and shoot bolts of energy.
Gavyn kept his true identity a secret and served as a masked protector of the realm, but after the assassination of his sister, only one year into her reign, he married his love, Lady Merria, and together they became the new rulers of Throneworld.
Later, his world was threaten by a massive wall of antimatter, which was consuming everything it was touching.  It was believed that Gavyn might have died during the crisis, however, his fate turned out far different.
While tracking down Will Payton, Jack Knight, along with Mikaal Tomas as his travel companion, climb aboard an old Victorian-styled spaceship (provided by the Shade) and began their sci-fi travelogue together. They visited the 30th Century, Krypton, Rann and finally Throneworld.
It was on Throneworld in which they met the de facto ruler, Jediah Rikane (a former friend of Prince Gavyn, but now a traitor).
King Rikane informed the two that Payton was locked away on the planet. Rikane determined that Payton somehow possessed the soul of the planet's rightful ruler, Prince Gavyn. Since Gavyn was no more (he was swallowed up by the antimatter during the crisis), Rikane gained not only Gavyn's "star" power, but also his bride, Lady Merria. After hearing this, the two Starmen were then escorted to the same prison where Payton was being held.
When justice had returned to Throneworld, Payton was still uncertain if he was the reincarnation of Prince Gavyn or not. He decided to stay and became the new ruler, with Lady Merria willingly at his side.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- It is currently unclear whether Gavyn and Payton are fused into one being with shared memories, or if Payton was killed by the bolt that struck him, thus being replaced by the essence of Gavyn, and having the memories of Payton.
- Rilsom, aka Emperor Rilsom the First, is Gavyn's "Great-Great-Great Grandfather several Dozen Generations removed" 
- 48 Appearances of Gavyn (New Earth)
- 8 Images featuring Gavyn (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Gavyn (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Gavyn (New Earth)