General Zahl was an officer of the German Navy during World War II and the commander of a German U-Boat. The Anti-U-Boat bombs developed by Dr. Niles Caulder smashed his ship and left him to live, but with only one arm, and requiring a metal collar to support his head. The War Crimes Commission declared him dead.
Years after the war, Zahl served as a mercenary, until a conflict with the Doom Patrol forced him into retirement. Later, he became an associate of the Brotherhood of Evil. He was the architect of an ambitious plot, which resulted in the seeming destruction of the original Doom Patrol in the Caribbean instead of the population of Codsville, Maine.
Years later, Changeling, Robotman, and the Teen Titans tracked down Zahl and Brotherhood member Madame Rouge. In the conflict, bullets ricocheted from Robotman's chest, killing Zahl.
- Military Protocol: General Zahl was an officer in the German Navy, and as such, was knowledgeable of all forms of military protocol.
- Seamanship: General Zahl had extensive knowledge of matters relating to seamanship, including boat handling, nautical navigation and maritime protocols.
- Tactical Analysis: General Zahl was a ruthless commander, and often employed the most brutal strategies required to defeat his opponents.
- Zahl was partially disabled from amputation and spinal injury. He lost his right hand and required a metal collar to keep his head up.
- German and other Submarines
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- During World War II, Zahl held the military rank of Captain. He began calling himself General Zahl of his own accord, but was never actually recognized as a General by any legitimate military organization. As a submariner, he would fall under the Kriegsmarine, the navy, which not even have the rank of General.
- 13 Appearances of General Zahl (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring General Zahl (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about General Zahl (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: General Zahl (New Earth)
Doom Patrol Villain(s)