Captain Boomerang (real name George "Digger" Harkness) was a slimy, sarcastic, and cowardly member of the Suicide Squad. His primary weapon was a wide arsenal of specially adapted and weaponized boomerangs. He went on a number of missions with the Squad, most notably to kill the Enchantress in Midway City, and to destroy Project Starfish in Corto Maltese.
Digger Harkness was raised in poverty in the Australian town of Kurrumburra, the illegitimate child of an Australian woman and an American toy manufacturer. Harkness learned early how to develop boomerangs into weapons. After a string of bank robberies and jewelry heists that made him a notorious criminal in Australia, he moved to the United States in search of new targets. His activities brought him to the attention of the Flash, who eventually apprehended him. He was later transferred to Belle Reve and recruited as a member of Task Force X, by Amanda Waller.
He accompanied the Force in taking down Enchantress and Incubus, but in the end did nothing helpful and thus didn't have his sentence shortened like the rest of the members when the mission was over, instead being returned to Belle Reve with no change to his time or privileges.
Some time later, Digger was captured and reinstated in Task Force X. He was part of the team sent to Corto Maltese to destroy Project Starfish, but he ended up dying in the middle of the first battle.
Powers and Abilities
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): Captain Boomerang is a decent fighter, and though his file describes him as an expert hand-to-hand combatant, he is not quite on Batman and Katana's level. Regardless, he can cut down multiple people in mere seconds when using the bladed edges of his boomerangs as close-quarter weapons.
- Deception: Captain Boomerang is a highly skilled deceiver, easily tricking Slipknot into attempting to escape (claiming that the implanted nano-bombs are only a fake bluffing tactic of Amanda Waller.
- Tactical Analysis: is a master strategist, as he has undertaken a string of jewelry heists. His file describes him as an illustrious escape artist, as he has discreetly planted specially-designed getaway boomerangs in every prison within a 100-mile radius of Central City in order to help him escape if he were to ever be imprisoned there.
- Thievery: Captain Boomerang, as a self-proclaimed "asset relocation specialist," is a prolific and extremely skilled robber and jewel thief, having 98 counts of burglary to his name, and being known for having robbed every bank in Australia at least once
- Gadgetry: As a child, Harkness learned how to craft sophisticated boomerangs and eventually developed them into weapons. His file describes him as an explosive engineer.
- Mental Illness: According to his psych profile, Captain Boomerang is a deranged lunatic, likely due to his step-father, Ian Harkness, subjecting him to abuse and cruelty. He is comfortable with his unprincipled, if not sociopathic, behavior. He has a history of sexually harassing women, vocalizing racist beliefs, betraying comrades, and murdering innocent citizens.
- Trick boomerangs: Captain Boomerang's primary weapons, with each of them a steel-made curved blade, sharpened on both sides. When thrown, his boomerangs spins about an axis that is perpendicular to their flight direction, and are designed to return to the thrower. He is a very formidable opponent when armed with his trick boomerangs, using them both as ranged and close-quarters weapons.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Extended Universe and is an adaptation of Captain Boomerang. The original character was created by John Broome and Carmine Infantino and first appeared in The Flash #117.
- Captain Boomerang was portrayed by Jai Courtney.
- On the Suicide Squad website, Digger's birthday is listed as December 9, 1985. However, in the film, his birthday is listed as September 12, 1985 on Amanda Waller's file.
- 4 Appearances of George Harkness (DC Extended Universe)
- 12 Images featuring George Harkness (DC Extended Universe)
- 1 Quotations by or about George Harkness (DC Extended Universe)
- Character Gallery: George Harkness (DC Extended Universe)
Suicide Squad member