Captain Boomerang (real name George "Digger" Harkness) was a slimy, sarcastic, and cowardly criminal and member of the Suicide Squad. His primary weapon was a wide arsenal of specially adapted and weaponized boomerangs. He went on a number of missions with the Squad, most notably to kill the Enchantress in Midway City, and to destroy Project Starfish in Corto Maltese.
Born in 1985, Digger Harkness was raised in poverty in the Australian town of Kurrumburra, the illegitimate child of an Australian woman and an American toy manufacturer. He learned early on how to develop boomerangs into weapons, and as an adult, used them to perform daring heists, earning him the name "Captain Boomerang". After growing bored of robberies in Australia, he moved to the United States in search of new targets. His activities brought him to the attention of the Flash, who eventually apprehended him. He incarcerated in the Belle Reve Federal Penitentiary where he was recruited as a member of the penal black-ops group Task Force X, also called the Suicide Squad by Amanda Waller in exchange for time off his triple life sentence.
He accompanied the Squad in taking down Enchantress and Incubus, but in the end did nothing helpful and thus didn't have his sentence shortened like the rest of the members when the mission was over, instead being returned to Belle Reve with no change to his time or privileges.
The Corto Maltese Mission
Boomerang briefly escaped Belle Reve sometime before 2020, but he was captured and reinstated in Task Force X within a year. In 2021, he was made part of the Squad sent to Corto Maltese to destroy Project Starfish. His team was lead once again by Colonel Rick Flag, and included a recently recaptured Harley Quinn, Blackguard, Mongal, and other new faces. The team was actually meant as a distraction for the Maltese Army so that a second Squad team could invade without trouble, but the group was oblivious to the fact.
The team was ambushed by the army as soon as they arrived on Maltese shores, as they had been sold out by Blackguard. Boomerang fought admirably in the ensuing battle against the soldiers, but while he was fighting, Mongal jumped onto the landing gear of an enemy helicopter and sent it spinning out of control with her weight. The helicopter sliced several palm trees into splinters that impaled themselves in Boomerang before the crashing helicopter sliced him to shreds with its blades. He was mourned by Harley, his only remaining friend.
Powers and Abilities
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): Captain Boomerang was a decent fighter, and could he can cut down multiple people in seconds using the bladed edges of his boomerangs as close-quarter weapons.
- Deception: Boomerang was a highly skilled deceiver, easily tricking Slipknot into attempting to escape (claiming that the implanted nano-bombs are only a fake bluffing tactic of Amanda Waller).
- Tactical Analysis: Boomerang was a master strategist, as he has undertaken a string of jewelry heists. His file describes him as an illustrious escape artist, as he has discreetly planted specially-designed getaway boomerangs in every prison within a 100-mile radius of Central City in order to help him escape if he were to ever be imprisoned there.
- Thievery: Captain Boomerang, as a self-proclaimed "asset relocation specialist," was a prolific and extremely skilled robber and jewel thief, having 98 counts of burglary to his name, and being known for having robbed every bank in Australia at least once.
- Gadgetry: As a child, Harkness learned how to craft sophisticated boomerangs and eventually developed them into weapons. His file describes him as an explosive engineer.
- Mental Disorder: According to his psych profile, Captain Boomerang was a deranged lunatic, likely due to his stepfather subjecting him to abuse and cruelty. He was comfortable with his unprincipled and sociopathic behavior. He had a history of sexually harassing women, vocalizing racist beliefs, betraying comrades, and murdering innocent citizens.
- Trick boomerangs: Captain Boomerang's primary weapons, with each of them a steel-made curved blade, sharpened on both sides. When thrown, his boomerangs spins about an axis that is perpendicular to their flight direction, and are designed to return to the thrower. He is a very formidable opponent when armed with his trick boomerangs, using them both as ranged and close-quarters weapons.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Extended Universe and is an adaptation of Captain Boomerang. The original character was created by John Broome and Carmine Infantino and first appeared in The Flash #117.
- Captain Boomerang was portrayed by Jai Courtney.
- On the Suicide Squad website, Digger's birthday is listed as December 9, 1985. However, in the film, his birthday is listed as September 12, 1985 on Amanda Waller's file.
- 4 Appearances of George Harkness (DC Extended Universe)
- 15 Images featuring George Harkness (DC Extended Universe)
- 1 Quotations by or about George Harkness (DC Extended Universe)
- Character Gallery: George Harkness (DC Extended Universe)
Suicide Squad member