The robot known as Gernsback began life as Elektro, a robot created for the 1939 World's Fair, that could walk, move its arms and head, speak using an embedded record-player, and smoke cigarettes and inflate balloons for exhibition purposes. Brainwave used the robot to test the All-Star Squadron as part of his plot which involved kidnapping members of the Justice Society. The heroes defeated Elektro easily. Afterwards, Robotman upgraded Elektro and dubbed him Gernsback. Gernsback acted as the All-Star Squadron's butler during World War II. 
- Gernsback was a very primitive robot with only the barest artificial intelligence, and thus was easily outwitted.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- Elektro is a real robot created by the Westinghouse Electric Corporation for exhibition at the 1939 New York World's Fair. The real Elektro is still in existence in exhibit at the Mansfield Memorial Museum in Mansfield, Ohio.
- 22 Appearances of Gernsback (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Gernsback (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Gernsback (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Gernsback (New Earth)