Minhkhoa "Khoa" Khan is the Ghost-Maker, a vigilante who trained with several of Batman's mentors around the world. A rival of the Dark Knight since his youth, he is a radical crime fighter who will not hesitate to kill if deemed necessary and sees crime-fighting as an art rather than a duty.
During their youths, Khoa trained with many of Bruce Wayne's mentors with the goal of preparing himself for a life of crime-fighting; over the years, the two struck up a friendship due to their shared interests. However, their friendship became strained after Bruce told him that the reason he wanted to become a crimefighter was to avenge his parents; angry that he was doing it for emotional reasons and not for the art of it, Khoa attacked him.
Over the years, Khoa would fight Bruce many times as their paths crossed during their journeys; Bruce would later claim that once he turned 20 years old, he won these fights every time. One of these fights occurred after Khoa followed followed Bruce to Dublin and clashed over the right to learn from Tommy Tivane, the world's greatest knife-thrower. Khoa also seemed to have harmed a mutual master in Morocco, souring their friendship further. He later trained with the Desert Kings in the Gobi Desert for two months; when Bruce went there the next year, he followed him and tried to initiate another fight. Bruce rejected him, as it was the anniversary of his parents death and he wished to be alone, but eventually relented after Khoa claimed that this sentimentality made him weak.
Despite his nature and their disagreements, Khoa was concerned for Bruce and stopped him in Argentina before he left back for Gotham City in a last attempt to appeal to him. Khoa implored him to realize that there is no way he can save everyone, and that operating with this singular focus would eventually wear his soul down to nothing. He asked Bruce to instead join him in southeast Asia where they would systematically destroy criminal underworlds, offering to do the same to Gotham once they had the resources. Disgusted with Khoa's outlook, Bruce warned him not to come to Gotham and Khoa agreed, as he had no interest in the city; in return, it was agreed that Bruce would not step foot where Khoa was operating.
Taking the name "Ghost-Maker", Khoa followed through with his plan; mostly operating within Southeast Asia, he would spend a year taking down criminal operations in whichever city he went, leaving a massive body count and no trail for authorities to discover him. While operating in Singapore, he would eventually cross paths with Bruce (now operating as "Batman") when he tracked down a Gotham criminal who had fled there. Batman begrudgingly agreed to allow the latter to handle the criminal, per their agreement; on the way back, Bruce would confide to his protégé that although he was still furious with Ghost-Maker's selfishness, he also missed being friends. He later tracked down Ghost-Maker and offered him a position within Batman Incorporated, but this enraged him and resulted in another fight.
Fighting for Gotham
After the Joker War, Ghost-Maker broke the pact in order to step into Gotham as its new protector, disappointed in how Bruce handled its criminals. He activated his Ghostnet to absorb and analyze all the network infrastructure of Gotham's criminal underworld, and begun processing an action plan to dismantle it. He soon found that a new vigilante was his main obstacle in applying this plan -- a teenager named Bao Pham, going by the alias of "Clownhunter". Given the fact the boy was also a ruthless killer endangering civilians, Ghost-Maker chose him to be a symbolic victim for Bruce to realize his mistakes.
Upon his arrival, Ghost-Maker killed all of the Grinners, a gang of Joker supporters, at their headquarters called the "Smile Bar". He then located Clownhunter while the latter was trying to blow up Harley Quinn's apartment; Batman came to the boy's rescue and the two engaged in combat. Bruce explained that Bao is a teenager who witnessed his parents being killed by the Joker five years before (a murder that Harley was present for), and that he would rather rehabilitate him than kill or imprison him.
Disappointed that Bruce had not changed, Ghost-Maker tranquilized Bruce, Harley, and Clownhunter and trapped them in a room of Arkham Asylum, leaving only Clownhunter unrestrained in order to force Bruce to handle him. However, the plan did not work as Harley managed to break through to the teenager by explaining her resolve to atone. Batman related that although it was true that not everyone can be saved, caring for people like Harley and Bao allowed them to get better and make a difference. Although Batman has come close to death many times and his work would probably never be done, he believed the success he has had with rehabilitating people over the years prove that empathy has its place.
Satisfied with Bruce's answer for the time being, Ghost-Maker initially intended to leave, but Bruce believed he would need help in a rapidly-changing Gotham and asked Ghost-Maker to stay with him -- as long as he does not kill. Seeing it as an interesting challenge, Ghost-Maker accepted and two began tackling the mysterious reemergence of Scarecrow and a radical transhumanist movement in Gotham called the Unsanity Collective, all while evading targeted aggression from the city's new Peacekeeper program. To this end, Ghost-Maker had a high-tech base built within Gotham, which he designed to top the original Bat-cave; he christened it "The Haunt".
Powers and Abilities
- Computer Hacking: Ghost-Maker has a network implanted in his suit called the Ghostnet. Thanks to it, he was able to infiltrate the networks of Gotham's criminal underworld. He also tricked an expert hacker like Barbara Gordon, and Batman told Barbara to shut her systems down when he saw the Ghost-Maker was in town, as his Ghostnet could take over Oracle's computers. 
- Intimidation: Ghost-Maker heavily intimidated a crooked GCPD agent for information about Clownhunter.
- Martial Arts: Ghost-Maker is a master martial artist, having trained with many mentors of Batman. He is skilled enough to match Bruce in combat, and also stated he wanted to try three new forms of martial arts on Bruce, while challenging him in the middle of the Gobi Desert.
- Medical Science
- Meditation: He uses his self-indulgence in the pleasures of the flesh as a form of meditation, managing to solve crimes in his mind in the meantime.
- Peak Human Condition: He's able to sustain a fight against Batman on the same level of the Dark Knight. He did it multiple times in the past, and also trained with many of the Caped Crusader's mentors.
- Peak Human Agility
- Peak Human Durability
- Peak Human Reflexes
- Peak Human Speed
- Peak Human Stamina
- Tactical Analysis
- Psychopathy: He was diagnosed with psychopathy at the age of eight, which prevents him from feeling empathy or fear. He lacks the ability to have sympathy or concern for any human, having detached himself from human emotions because he thinks it makes him weak. Despite what he says, he apparently can actually feel anger and hold grudges. Especially after witnessing his parents having their lives threatened by the Midas family, which is what truly inspired his crusade.
- Ghost-Maker Suit
- Ghostnet: a private network Ghost-Maker installed on his suit, giving him several hacking skills. Through it, he was able to infiltrate the networks of Gotham's underworld and develop a plan to take down the entire criminal structure of the city.
- Icon: An artificial intelligence programmed by Ghost-Maker himself to assist him in his activities. Icon is installed on the Ghost-Stream jet.
- Ghost-Racer: An automobile that is still outpaced by the Batmobile.
- The Ghost-Stream: A custom-built radar-invisible jet fighter.
- Double Swords
- According to Ghost-Maker, only five living people have ever seen his full face and only three know his birth name. It appears that Batman is part of both groups; in turn, Ghost-Maker also knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne.
- Ghost-Maker generally keeps his eyes wrapped by a piece of fabric whenever his mask is off; it doesn't seem to have any effect on his vision or abilities.
- Ghost-Maker is a hedonistic man who indulges in good food and drink, and sex with both men and women, using it as a meditation technique.
- 22 Appearances of Ghost-Maker (Prime Earth)
- 16 Images featuring Ghost-Maker (Prime Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Ghost-Maker (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ghost-Maker (Prime Earth)
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.