Synopsis for "Gotham High"
Remembrance of Things Past
At the prestigious Arkham Preparatory School for Boys, Bruce Wayne saves a fellow student from being violently bullied but is expelled for his heroics. While being driven home in a limousine, he passes by the bad part of town and and the vehicle splashes Jack Napier with drain water as he exits a bookshop. When he returns home, his uncle Alfred greets him.
Across town, Selina Garcia Kyle receives the book that Jack got her and struggles to figure out how she can take care of her ill father. When she goes to Gotham City High School the next day, she sees that her childhood friend Bruce has transferred there from the prep academy. Bruce briefly flirts with her before going into the dark room for photography club and reveals that he didn't recognize her due to how much she has changed since they were children. She invites him to a party that weekend.
The get-together is held at a warehouse, where Jack is playing cards and invites Bruce to join him. The two bond over the game and Bruce could use the friend, as he's bullied later at school by Harvey Dent who steals his jacket while two other men in shadows inject him with a tranquilizer and abduct Harvey.
Selina gives Jack a ride home after school, where he is ignored by his addict parents and retires to his room decked in pictures of Selina. At her house, she takes photos from the photography club and uses them to try to remind her demented father of his past life but it just upsets him. Bruce comes to in the hospital and Alfred tells him that Harvey was kidnapped. Bruce immediately takes the chance to leap out of his hospital room to do detective work figuring out what happened to his classmate. Inquiring in the Chinese district of town, he finds out that he was incapacitated by a rare and illegal Chinese drug called "heartbreak grass".
Appearing in "Gotham High"
- Bruce Wayne (First appearance) (Flashback and main story)
- Alfred Dean Pennyworth (First appearance)
- Barbie Gordon (First appearance)
- Harvey Dent (First appearance)
- Jack Napier (First appearance)
- John Pennyworth (First appearance)
- Richard Grayson (First appearance)
- Ivy (First appearance)
- Selina Garcia Kyle (First appearance) (Flashback and main story) (Narrator)
- The Pranksters
- Gotham City Police Department
- Mr. Kyle (First appearance) (Flashback and main story)
- Martha Wayne (First appearance) (Flashback only)
- Thomas Wayne (First appearance) (Flashback only)
- Principal Gordon (First appearance)
- Jack's mother and father
- Selina's mother (In a photograph only) (Flashback only) (Deceased)
- Mr. Brady (Phone call only)
- Mr. Bullock (In a photograph only)
- Ama (Single appearance)
- Betty (Single appearance)
- Grandma Garcia (Mentioned only)
- Harvey's parents (Mentioned only)
- Master Zhang (Mentioned only)
- Wayne Enterprises (Mentioned only)
- China (Mentioned only)
- Hong Kong (Mentioned only)
- United States of America
- New Jersey
- New York
- Metropolis Estates Full Care Facility
- Selina's motorcycle
- The special has been positively reviewed by Comic Book Resources and Newsarama.
- The graphic novel ends with a preview of The Lost Carnival.
Links and References
- Page from DC Comics
- Interview with Melissa de la Cruz on DC's blog
- Interview with de la Cruz and Pitilli from Entertainment Weekly
- Gotham High Review: A Fresh, Fascinating Approach to Some of DC's Most Iconic Characters by Nicole Drum, April 7, 2020
- Best Shots Review: GOTHAM HIGH 'an Absolute Blast' by By C.K. Stewart, April 7, 2020