"The Wonder Year": In the company of Brianna Stone, Oliver Queen recalls how following his return from Starfish Island, he took up archery on a regular basis. He grew tired of the life of a wealthy socialite. Dressing up as Robin Hood, Oliver attended a costume p
- Hmph! "Modern-Day Robin Hood." What am I supposed to do... Steal from myself and give to the poor?
Synopsis for "The Wonder Year"
In the company of Brianna Stone, Oliver Queen recalls how following his return from Starfish Island, he took up archery on a regular basis. He grew tired of the life of a wealthy socialite. Dressing up as Robin Hood, Oliver attended a costume party for charity, but he soon became uncomfortable among the other attendees. However, when a thug known as The Gooch attempts to steal the money from the donations bowl and take a hostage, Oliver forces himself into action. The Gooch is barely literate, and refers to Oliver as "that green, arrow guy" - originating the name of Green Arrow.
Together, Oliver and Brianna reminisce about how they had known each other in college, meeting on a trip to Washington, D.C. for a protest rally. At first, Oliver's leanings toward capitalism repulsed her, but eventually he won her over by noting the ability of a capitalist system to change its ideals. However, Oliver lost some of his idealism after seeing too many leaders of revolutionary political movements killed. Meanwhile, Brianna had started an underground movement that failed to gain momentum.
Oliver complains that most revolutionaries tend to give up on their dreams, and assimilate into the system. Brianna argues that in the last five years she has written several books, and has even spoken to congress under her assumed identity of Kelli Harris. She criticizes Oliver's turn to vigilantism, claiming that he has become a caricature.
Oliver counters that he knows that Brianna arranged to fake an assassination attempt on Congressman James Reynolds, hoping it would catapult him into the limelight - which it did. He warns that even if she has a new identity, she risks giving away her past as a revolutionary.
Appearing in "The Wonder Year"
- Brianna Stone
- The Gooch (Flashback only)
- James Reynolds
- Green Arrow Recommended Reading
- More Fun Comics (Volume 1): More Fun Comics #73–107
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1): Adventure Comics #246–269
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1): Detective Comics #521–567
- Green Lantern (Volume 2): Green Lantern (Volume 2) #76–124
- The Flash (Volume 1): The Flash #217–219
- Green Arrow (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow (Volume 2)
- Green Arrow (Volume 3)
- Green Arrow (Volume 4)
- Green Arrow (Volume 5)
- Green Arrow (Volume 6)
- Green Arrow and Black Canary (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: The Wonder Year (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: Year One (Volume 1)
- Connor Hawke: Dragon's Blood (Volume 1)
- Black Canary (Volume 1)
- Black Canary (Volume 2)
- Black Canary (Volume 3)