- A bit theatrical, I suppose. But I wanted to save you the trouble of trying something stupid. You'd never make it.
Appearing in "Blood of the Dragon, Part 4: Hanare"
- The Yakuza
- The U.S. President's Senior Security Advisor
- Malcolmb Dawson (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Blood of the Dragon, Part 4: Hanare"
After being abandoned by Shado, Oliver Queen comes to a realization about who she is being manipulated to kill.
At the U.S. Embassy in Japan the conspirators explain that their plan is to have Oliver kill Shado in order to prevent her from killing her target, and then have their own man kill the target with a special pen that emits cyanide gas. Meanwhile, Oliver arrives at the embassy to warn them of an upcoming assassination attempt on the president. The embassy's deputy director of security Malcomb Dawson purposefully leaks the location of the assassination attempt to Oliver, but also notes that that president, Japanese premier, prime minister, and even the emperor will all be in attendance for a public display of Yabusame (mounted archery). Oliver is told to return home and not worry about anything, because the president is perfectly safe.
As he leaves the embassy, Oliver picks a flower and in smelling it, he recognizes the fragrance as one he encountered while fighting the Yakuza with Shado. He realizes the embassy members are in on the assassination, suits up as Green Arrow and returns to interrogate Dawson. Oliver knows that Shado will kill whichever of the four possible targets she has been assigned, and threatens to torture Dawson if he doesn't reveal the location of Shado's child, so he can stop the assassination.
At the Yabusame demonstration, Shado overpowers one of the participants, donning his costume and taking his place in the show. Her target lies somewhere in the crowd. She rides down the track and fires her first arrow into a stationary target, as per the demonstration. She continues down the track and fires an arrow in the second stationary target. Her third arrow is reserved for the target: Russian President Mikhail Gorbachev.
As she approaches, Green Arrow shoots an arrow into the third stationary target, drawing her attention. When she looks to him, she sees that he has rescued her son, who is safe in his hands. And she is no longer obligated to kill her target. When Gorbachev's senior security advisor attempts to assassinate the president with the poisoned pen himself, Shado kills him with a well-placed arrow. Security opens fire on Shado and she escapes by riding her horse over a cliff.
Elsewhere, it is shown that the Yakuza Oyabun had orchestrated the whole ordeal as part of a plan to improve their position of power in international arms dealership.
Before leaving Japan for Seattle, Oliver meets with Shado and tells her what a beautiful son she has. He leaves him a necklace with a stone arrowhead pendant that he had made while stranded on Starfish Island. Shado tells Oliver that her son has his father's eyes and as Oliver walks away she begins to cry. The baby's eyes are green like Oliver's.
- This issue is suggested for mature readers.
- This issue is reprinted in Green Arrow: A Celebration of 75 Years.
- No trivia.
- Discuss Green Arrow Vol 2 24 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Green Arrow series
- Images from Green Arrow Vol 2 24
- Green Arrow Recommended Reading
- More Fun Comics (Volume 1): More Fun Comics #73–107
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1): Adventure Comics #246–269
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1): Detective Comics #521–567
- Green Lantern (Volume 2): Green Lantern (Volume 2) #76–124
- The Flash (Volume 1): The Flash #217–219
- Green Arrow (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow (Volume 2)
- Green Arrow (Volume 3)
- Green Arrow (Volume 4)
- Green Arrow (Volume 5)
- Green Arrow (Volume 6)
- Green Arrow and Black Canary (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: The Wonder Year (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: Year One (Volume 1)
- Connor Hawke: Dragon's Blood (Volume 1)
- Black Canary (Volume 1)
- Black Canary (Volume 2)
- Black Canary (Volume 3)