"Quiver (Part IX of X) - The Weird World of Stanley and His Monster": Batman, Arsenal, Black Canary and Jason Blood fly the Titans T-Jet back towards Gotham City. Arsenal mentions that Ollie has been staying with an old man named Stanley Dover. Jason Blood recognizes the name and
- It's not every day you watch a father figure you've thought was dead get fried by a demon... only to be told by a ghost that he's not really dead, but just hanging around Heaven, talking to an old friend -- who's also now not really dead, apparently.
- -- Roy Harper
Appearing in "Quiver (Part IX of X) - The Weird World of Stanley and His Monster"
- Star City Slayer (Flashback and main story)
- Alexander Burgess (Flashback only)
- Arsenal (Roy Harper)
- Batman (Bruce Wayne)
- Dream (Flashback only)
- Jason Blood (Flashback and main story)
- Order of Ancient Mysteries (Flashback only)
- Stanley Dover (Flashback and main story)
- Stanley's Monster (Flashback only)
- Jim Henderson (Single appearance) (Flashback only)
- Mrs. Schwalbach (Single appearance) (Flashback only)
- Marge Dover (Flashback only)
- Sheila Dover (Flashback only)
- Mitch Dover (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Quiver (Part IX of X) - The Weird World of Stanley and His Monster"
Batman, Arsenal, Black Canary and Jason Blood fly the Titans T-Jet back towards Gotham City. Arsenal mentions that Ollie has been staying with an old man named Stanley Dover. Jason Blood recognizes the name and frantically tells them to turn the jet around and go back towards Star City.
In Star City, Stanley Dover has Ollie and Mia tied down to altars in his basement. He is the Star City Slayer and has been keeping his own grandson (Stanley) trapped in his basement in a plan to gain eternal life. Stanley Sr. explains that in the 1950s, his wife and he had joined a Satanic cult. But while his wife did so only for the orgies, Stanley became a serious student of the occult. Years later, he found a tome called the Magdalene Grimoire which told of a Beast With No Name, a low-level demon that Stanley felt he could summon and control. As he grew older, he had children and ultimately a grandchild also named Stanley. Stanley Sr. would bring the infant Stanley to his demonic invocations in an effort to summon and bind the demon to Earth, but with no avail. What he never realized was, was that the Monster did appear on Earth, but was bonded to the younger Stanley, not the older one. It was only a year ago, that Dover learned that his grandson had bonded with the Monster and so he abducted him and began committing horrible child murders in the hopes of luring the Monster out of hiding. Recently, he recognized that Oliver Queen was a man without a soul and now seeks to enact a ritual that will place his soul into the body of Oliver Queen. From there, he will be able to commit more time and effort towards finding a way to control the Monster.
Ollie tells Stanley that his friends will arrive soon to rescue them. But Stanley informs him that a Blood Seal has been placed on the premises. Only someone who is biologically related to either Ollie, Mia or himself can enter. As luck would have it, Connor Hawke (having received a convenient vision of his father's resurrection) has arrived at the Dover estate along with Eddie Fyers.
- Part of Stanley Dover's origin coincides with events chronicled in Sandman (Volume 2) #1.
- The Earth name for Stanley's monster is actually Spot, but since young Stanley frequently spoke with a lisp, it always came out as "Thpot".
- In the 1950's flashback, Stanley Dover's neighbor is named Mrs. Schwalbach. The character is likely named after Jennifer Schwalbach, the wife of writer Kevin Smith.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Green Arrow Vol 3 9 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Green Arrow series
- Images from Green Arrow Vol 3 9
- Green Arrow Recommended Reading
- More Fun Comics (Volume 1): More Fun Comics #73–107
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1): Adventure Comics #246–269
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1): Detective Comics #521–567
- Green Lantern (Volume 2): Green Lantern (Volume 2) #76–124
- The Flash (Volume 1): The Flash #217–219
- Green Arrow (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow (Volume 2)
- Green Arrow (Volume 3)
- Green Arrow (Volume 4)
- Green Arrow (Volume 5)
- Green Arrow (Volume 6)
- Green Arrow and Black Canary (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: The Wonder Year (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: Year One (Volume 1)
- Connor Hawke: Dragon's Blood (Volume 1)
- Black Canary (Volume 1)
- Black Canary (Volume 2)
- Black Canary (Volume 3)
Links and References
- Green Arrow at Wikipedia.org
- Green Arrow Toonopedia
- Green Arrow at TV Tropes
- Green Arrow at the DC Animated Universe Wiki
[[Category:Green Arrow: Quiver|Green Arrow Vol 3 0009]]