"Ring Quest (Part III of V)": In their serch for Arisia and Sodam Yat, the Green Lanterns arrive at their Rings last known location, the Black Mercy Planet. Arriving, they find that the planet is orbitted by a massive amount of corpses from d
- Look, people, we're not talking just a bad guy. Mongul's gone toe-to-toe with Superman. And right now, there's a real possibility that he's the one that's got Sodam and Arisia somewhere on this planet. Let's wrap this up. We've got Lanterns in trouble.
Appearing in "Ring Quest (Part III of V)"
- Green Lantern Corps
- Mother Mercy (First appearance)
- Guardians of the Universe
- Mongul I (Flashback only)
- Superman (Flashback only)
- Batman (Flashback only)
- Wonder Woman (Flashback only)
- Robin (Flashback only)
- Mongal(Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Ring Quest (Part III of V)"
In their serch for Arisia and Sodam Yat, the Green Lanterns arrive at their Rings last known location, the Black Mercy Planet. Arriving, they find that the planet is orbitted by a massive amount of corpses from different worlds, having died of different causes. Heading down to the surface of the planet, the rings report a loss of contact with Sodam and Arisia's rings, while they discover that the planet is covered with Black Mercies. This leads Kyle and Guy to conclude that Mongul is involved. After brief recap of Mongul I's history and Mongul II's recent exploits, Vath Sarn concludes that Mongul has one Yellow Power Ring, and actually become a little eager to take him out. Soranik Natu resumes her debate on the ethics of lethal force, while Kyle tells them that they need to find Arisia and Sodam.
On Oa, the Guardians build a Sciencell to hold all the Yellow Power Rings. Kilowog would rather see them destroyed, but Salakk reminds him that it is the Guardians decision. Heading down to the sciencells, Salakk drops the rings and a severed arm holding a ring off. Observing, Sinestro bites off some of the skin on his finger, then draws the Sinestro Corps seal with his blood on the window. The other imprisoned members of the Sinestro Corps follow their leader's act of defiance.
On Ater Clementia, Sodam and Arisia are in the thrall of the Black Mercy, but they are not experiencing their greatest dreams: Mongul has altered the Black Mercies basic genetic structure to force the recipients to live out their worst nightmares: Sodam failing to win a battle, and Arisia being killed and left for dead again. Mongul observes, delighting in their torments. Duel Eknham, however, would rather be killing the two Lanterns in their own preferred styles. Mongul tells them to do nothing but continue harvesting the seeds, and the two Lanterns will be offerings to Mother Mercy. Having harvested a number of altered seeds, Mongul uses his ring to form a cannon that fires the seeds to other worlds.
From a distance, Bzzd sees the shot, and directs the other Lanterns to its location. Heading into the grove, they discover that Arisia and Sodam have been swallowed up and are being digested for the Mercies. Guy and Kyle dive in to pull them out, while the other Lanterns start chopping and burning the mercies away. Guy and Kyle finally manage to pull Arisia and Sodam out. Soranik needs to get them back to Oa to properly remove the Mercies, and she needs to do so immediately.
Unfortunately, as she's saying this, the ground splits asunder as a massive Black Mercy emerges — screaming that the Green Lanterns are killing her children.
- This issue is reprinted in the trade paperback Ring Quest.
- Part of the Green Lantern Ring's flashback of Mongul shows the events of Alan Moore's "For the Man Who Has Everything", which appeared in Superman Annual #11. However, that event had been removed from continuity during the Crisis on Infinite Earths. It is possible that it was restored as a result of the Infinite Crisis.
- Green Lantern Recommended Reading
- Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern (Volume 4)
- Green Lantern (Volume 5)
- The Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern: New Guardians (Volume 1)
- Green Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)