"Emerald Eclipse (Part I)": Mongul comes to the planet Daxam. With the power of six Yellow Power Rings, he easily takes control of the xenophobic Daxamites and establishes the planet as the base of operations for the [[Sinestro Corps (New Earth)|Sinestro Cor
- I wanted a challenge. I wanted to see some fire in your bellies before I ripped them open. Instead all I taste in the wind is fear and loathing.
- — Mongul
Appearing in "Emerald Eclipse (Part I)"
- Anti-Monitor (hand only)
- Cara Yat (First full appearance)
- Diro Yat (First full appearance)
- KT21 (In a photograph only)
Synopsis for "Emerald Eclipse (Part I)"
Mongul comes to the planet Daxam. With the power of six Yellow Power Rings, he easily takes control of the xenophobic Daxamites and establishes the planet as the base of operations for the Sinestro Corps, with himself as undisputed ruler. Two Daxamites, Diro and Cara, try to flee the planet in the hopes of finding their son.
On Oa, Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner discuss the recently enacted "third law" which forbids Green Lantern members from romantically fraternizing with one another. Both men have trouble with this law: Kyle feels that it was written as an act of desperation, almost like the Guardians are trying to micromange their souls, while Guy says that he couldn't choose between his ring and Ice unless he actually had to chose.
Kyle then meets with Soranik Natu. He shows her some of his recent drawings, which depict gruesome images of dead Green Lanterns. Soranik hopes that these sketches are just Kyle's way of working through his frustration. They also talk about their recent encounter with the Star Sapphires. Their conversation culminates in a passionate embrace.
Later, Green Lantern Saarek is patrolling a sector of space and comes upon Miri Riam, the most recent recruit of the Star Sapphire Corps. They perch themselves upon the disembodied hand of the Anti-Monitor. Miri wants Saarek to find true love, but when she looks into his soul, all she finds is blackness. Saarek communes with the spirit of Miri's late husband, Kered. He tells Miri that Kered will always be with her.
Back on Daxam, Arkillo of the Sinestro Corps takes umbrage with Mongul's assertion of power. He doesn't feel that Mongul is worthy of being a member of the Corps, much less leading it. He challenges him to a trial by combat (without power rings) to see who is worthy of leading the remaining Sinestros. Mongul eagerly agrees.
Appearing in "Origins and Omens"
Other Characters: The following all appear as part of Scar's vision
- Green Lantern Corps
- Sinestro Corps
- Several unidentified members
- Book of the Black (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Origins and Omens"
On Oa, Kyle decides to create an ambitious and elaborate painting depicting the history of the Green Lantern Corps. He recruits Guy Gardner to help prime the canvas (a building) in which this mural is to be painted. Guy is frustrated that Kyle won't let him use his ring to expedite the process. Other Lanterns join in and help Kyle and Guy prime the building.
In the bowels of the planet, the Scarred Guardian reviews the Book of the Black, which foretells the coming "Blackest Night". She sees visions of members of both the Green Lantern Corps and the Sinestro Corps who have fallen in battle rising from the dead.
- This issue is chapter one of the "Emerald Eclipse" story arc, which is a prelude to the "Blackest Night" event.
- Issue includes an "Origins and Omens" back-up feature. No credits are provided for this feature.
- This story is reprinted in the trade paperback Emerald Eclipse.
- Mongul's line, "Pleased to meet you, Mister President. Hope you guess my name." is a rewording of a line of dialogue from the 1968 Rolling Stones song, "Sympathy for the Devil".
- Green Lantern Recommended Reading
- Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern (Volume 4)
- Green Lantern (Volume 5)
- The Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern: New Guardians (Volume 1)
- Green Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
Links and References
War of Light Crossover