Synopsis for "5"
Helping prevent natural disasters in Star City, Green Lantern (John Stewart) is enlisted by Harbinger to serve as an agent of the Monitor in the upcoming Crisis on Infinite Earths. Mistaking her warnings as threats, Stewart tries to detain Harbinger, and a fight breaks out between the two of them, along with Katma Tui, Green Arrow and Black Canary. Ultimately, Stewart decides she is not lying and it is best to go with her.
Still recovering from the loss of both the Green Lantern Corps and Carol Ferris from his life, Hal Jordan has a chance encounter with his old friend Tom Kalmaku and his family. They catch up on recent events in their lives, and Tom forgives Hal for not consulting him before quitting the Corps.
Taken to the Monitor's Satellite, John Stewart meets up with the others chosen to aid in the Monitor's war. Including the Superman of Earth-Two, Geo-Force, Cyborg, Dawnstar, Blue Beetle, King Solovar, Doctor Polaris, Obsidian, Psycho-Pirate, Firestorm, Firebrand and Psimon. As he tries to figure out what's going on, they are ambushed by Shadow Demons.
Katma Tui sends a distress call to the Guardians of the Universe on Oa warning them about the impending Crisis... she is surprised to see them genuinely agitated by her account. The Guardians inform her they plan to hold a council. The Guardians decide they will need to call in the entire Green Lantern Corps to deal with the threat, but before they can the Anti-Monitor sends a blase through the Central Power Battery of Oa and massacres them. Oa is surrounded by an impenetrable barrier.
Katma Tui goes to Hal to discuss everything that's been going wrong. After talking about the trouble with the Guardians, they reminisce and patch up issues their friendship has had since Hal left the Corps. Tired of feeling sorry for himself, Hal decides to get his life back on track. He starts by visiting the grave of Abin Sur, where he finds Guy Gardner desecrating it, attempting to find the Ring that he believes should rightfully be his. The two men fight, until a Guardian arrives to admit a new Green Lantern into the Corps... Guy Gardner! The Guardian informs Hal that since he has retired, he is no longer a part of their plans. Needless to say, Hal is not happy about that.
Appearing in "5"
- Green Lantern Corps
- Katma Tui (Flashback and main story)
- Guardians of the Universe
- Green Arrow
- Black Canary
- Thomas Kalmaku
- Tegra Kalmaku
- Keith Kalmaku
- Kari Kalmaku
- Blue Beetle
- Doctor Polaris
- King Solovar
- Superman (Earth-Two)
- Monitor's Satellite
- Hal Jordan retired from the Green Lantern Corps in Green Lantern (Volume 2) #181. John Stewart has been acting as the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 since Green Lantern (Volume 2) #182.
- This issue is a Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover.
- Abin Sur died in Showcase #22.
- During his appearances in Crisis on Infinite Earths (Volume 1), John Stewart is seen wearing a mask although he publicly unmasked himself in Green Lantern (Volume 2) #188. He applies his mask using his ring, simply because Harbinger wondered why his costume had changed.
- Green Lantern Recommended Reading
- Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern (Volume 4)
- Green Lantern (Volume 5)
- The Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern: New Guardians (Volume 1)
- Green Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Crisis Recommended Reading
Links and References
Crisis on Infinite Earths Crossover