"The Other Side of the World!": In her continued quest to find her father, Zatanna has traveled to the realm of Brittany, where she seeks to open the portal to the land of Ys. While in Coast City, Hal receives word of a villain named Patch-Eyed Pete robbing a b
Appearing in "The Other Side of the World!"
- Warlock of Ys (First appearance)
- Hawkman (Flashback only)
- Hawkgirl (Flashback only)
- Atom (Flashback only)
- Druid (Flashback only)
- Zatara (Flashback only)
- Atlantic Ocean
- The Other Side of the World
- The Land of Ys
- United States of America
Synopsis for "The Other Side of the World!"
In her continued quest to find her father, Zatanna has traveled to the realm of Brittany, where she seeks to open the portal to the land of Ys. While in Coast City, Hal receives word of a villain named Patch-Eyed Pete robbing a bank in town. Changing into Green Lantern, when Hal speaks his oath while charging his power ring, both he and Pieface are shocked when Hal recites the Green Lantern oath backwards.
Hal rushes off to stop Patch-Eyed Pete, and Hal suddenly finds that his power ring is able to pull off feats that it never has been able to do in the past (such as protect him from Pete's golden cutlass) Chasing Pete to Brittany, Pete escapes through the portal to Ys, following Hal finds himself lost in the magical tunnel to Ys and is saved by Zatanna.
Zatanna explains that she has come to Ys to search for her father after unsuccessfully finding him in the past with the help of Hawkman, Hawkgirl and the Atom. Learning that the Warlock of Ys had dispatched Patch-Eye Pete to Earth to lure the Green Lantern to Ys so that the Warlock could steal Green Lantern's power ring and use it to escape Ys, Zatanna decided to intervene.
The two heroes work together to fight off the Warlock's minions and keep Warlock from using his magic to remove Green Lantern's ring. Taking the fight to Warlock, the Warlock provides the heroes with an ultimatum: If Green Lantern agrees to give him the power ring without commanding it to do anything to capture him, then he will tell Zatanna what she wants to know about her father. Complying, Warlock reveals that Zatara had come to his realm to take his crystal ball that would allow him to travel to Earth, and succeed in taking the bauble and transported to points unknown.
With the information told, the Warlock attempts to use the power ring but instead of allowing him to leave Ys, it immobilizes him. Taking his ring back, Hal tells the inert Warlock, that while he promised that he wouldn't command his power ring to double cross the Warlock, Zatanna made no such promises. With their quest complete, the two heroes return to Earth, where Zatanna departs to continue her quest to find her father.
- This is a chapter in "Zatanna's Search" for her father. The story arc is chronicled in: Hawkman #4, Detective Comics #336 (per a later retcon), The Atom #19, Green Lantern (Volume 2) #42, Detective Comics #355, and finally Justice League of America #51. This storyline is collected in JLA: Zatanna's Search.
- This issue is reprinted in The Green Lantern Archives Vol. 6, Superman #272, Showcase Presents: Green Lantern Vol. 3
- No trivia.
- Green Lantern Recommended Reading
- Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern (Volume 4)
- Green Lantern (Volume 5)
- The Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern: New Guardians (Volume 1)
- Green Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)