"Earth's Other Green Lantern!": On the planet Oa, the Guardians show Hal Jordan the Memory Machine, a device that records all the memories of the Green Lanterns for historical preserv
Green Lantern (Volume 2) #59 is an issue of the series Green Lantern (Volume 2) with a cover date of March, 1968.
Appearing in "Earth's Other Green Lantern!"
- Green Lantern Villains
- Children of Ghera (Single appearance)
- Gor (Single appearance)
- Orm (Single appearance)
- Abin Sur (Flashback only)
- Abin Sur's Starship (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Earth's Other Green Lantern!"
On the planet Oa, the Guardians show Hal Jordan the Memory Machine, a device that records all the memories of the Green Lanterns for historical preservation. They then show the final moments of Abin Sur's life and how he happened to choose Hal Jordan as the most likely candidate to be his successor as Green Lantern. After, they also explain that Hal was the closest, as there was another person just as noble as Hal was that could have been selected. Intrigued by this, Hal is also told the Memory Machine could compute what would have happened if the other person was selected.
Viewing the situation, Hal learns that the next person is a physical education instructor from East City named Guy Gardner. Gardner is selected to be the Green Lantern for Earth and much like Hal, busts up a ring of spies. Gardner would also tackle Hal's foes, Sonar, the Shark, Black Hand, Dr. Polaris and Sinestro. Later on a mission to a planet where the Yellow Plague killed off all the adults, Guy learns that the surviving children divided into two factions and have gone to war with each other with giant robots. Being used as a pawn at first, Guy manages to free himself and stop the ongoing struggle and convince the children of the planet to live in peace. Returning to Earth, Guy would soon fall victim to the Yellow Plague himself, and would summon Hal Jordan to take his place as Green Lantern.
With the story done, a curious Hal takes a business trip to East City to meet the real Guy Gardner, and the two become fast friends before Hal has to return to the west coast.
- Reprinted in Green Lantern (Volume 2) #184, Showcase Presents: Green Lantern Vol. 3, Green Lantern: A Celebration of 75 Years, and Green Lantern: 80 Years of the Emerald Knight: The Deluxe Edition.
- This issue is based on the origin of Green Lantern told in Showcase #22, and depicts a hypothetical alternate timeline divergent from those events. It also mildly retcons some of the events of that issue.
- No trivia.
- Green Lantern Recommended Reading
- Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern (Volume 4)
- Green Lantern (Volume 5)
- The Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern: New Guardians (Volume 1)
- Green Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)