- They say I'm fearless, but actually I'm very afraid. Of getting beat. Of backing down. Of chickening out. That fear just blows all the others away.
Appearing in "Trials"
- Pan-Galactic Placement Services
- John Stewart (In dream sequence only)
- Katma Tui (In dream sequence only)
- Star Sapphire (In dream sequence only)
- Outer Space
- Pan-Galactic Placement Services ship
Synopsis for "Trials"
Pan-Galactic Placement Services has captured Hal Jordan, Brik and two of their potential Green Lantern Corps recruits, Aa and Kworri - both of whom represent rival races from Stoneworld. The placement services enforcer Flicker implants each of them with breaker switches that shut down their brain upon command.
Flicker and his people then begin a reconditioning process by which they can control their new recruits, and sell them off as warriors and enforcers to the highest bidder. Hal Jordan finds himself participating in what appears to be a job interview. Fortunately, Hal's willpower disrupts the nature of the process, and he realizes that something is amiss, when the illusion breaks down after he mentions the name Carol Ferris.
Hal begins to break free, but Flicker's boss activates the breaker switch, shutting him down. While unconscious, Hal is tormented by visions of Star Sapphire, John Stewart and the murder of Katma Tui. He knows that Sapphire is out there somewhere.
Hal's guilt over Katma's death is overwhelming, and prods him to overcome the breaker switch's effect. He realizes that the Pan-Galactic Placement Services know where Carol is, and begins fighting Flicker and his agents. He uses his ring to free Brik, Aa and Kworri, destroying their individual breaker switches.
The Pan-Galactic Placement Services blasts them all out of an airlock then flies away, leaving them adrift in space. Aa managed to grab one of Flicker's agents before being ejected into outer space, and Hal prepares to force the alien to lead them to the last known whereabouts of Star Sapphire.
- No trivia.
- Green Lantern Recommended Reading
- Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern (Volume 4)
- Green Lantern (Volume 5)
- The Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern: New Guardians (Volume 1)
- Green Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)