"Sound And Fury": While Hal Jordan is wandering on the outskirts of Kudzu City, Guy Gardner appears, taunting him. Hal is annoyed by Guy's reckless behavior, claiming that Guy can't handle the idea of someone trying to do things honestly wit
Synopsis for "Sound And Fury"
While Hal Jordan is wandering on the outskirts of Kudzu City, Guy Gardner appears, taunting him. Hal is annoyed by Guy's reckless behavior, claiming that Guy can't handle the idea of someone trying to do things honestly without depending on a Green Lantern Ring.
At a diner in town, Guy is goaded by Hal's arguments into challenging him to a brawl, without using their rings. Hal agrees, leaving the rings in the care of a waitress.
The two fight outdoors and the townspeople gather 'round until the local sheriff appears. He arrests them and throws them in jail. Being confined together gives them the opportunity to argue more. Guy explains that all of his power and popularity derive directly from his ring. When Hal tries to explain to Guy that the ring isn't everything, he suddenly realizes that neither of them has their rings anymore, because they were left at the diner. When they convince the sheriff to find them, they discover that the rings are missing.
Meanwhile, on Oa, John Stewart finds himself trapped by the last Guardian remaining on the planet. The insane Guardian forces him into a mind-union, the result of which causes John to have visions of Maltus, when the Guardians of the Universe were still there. The Guardian claims that he can bring all of these memories into reality.
Back on Earth, two locals are using the stolen rings to cause havoc, looting shops and harassing citizens. When the sheriff comes in contact with them, Hal convinces him that if he and Guy are let go, they can get the rings back and stop the chaos. Soon, Hal and Guy face the criminals, easily dodging their energy constructs. Hal counters forces his will over the ring thieves from a distance, countering their energy constructs while getting closer to them. When he gets close enough, he punches one on the face, grabs his ring, and becomes Green Lantern. The site prompts the other criminal to return Guy's ring without a struggle.
Later, on the road again, Guy admits that Hal is the best Green Lantern he's ever seen. Hal still chooses to walk his path without using the ring, and Guy concedes that he will stop interfering from now on.
Appearing in "Sound And Fury"
- Appa Ali Apsa
- Mississippi thieves
- After defeating the ring thief by forcing his will from a distance, Hal tells to guy that "it's not the first time I've had to do that." He is talking about the time he faced Bill Baggett, a man who stole his ring. Even when the ring was in Baggett's hand, Hal managed to force his will over his and retrieve his ring.
- Reprinted in Green Lantern: The Road Back.
- Green Lantern Recommended Reading
- Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern (Volume 4)
- Green Lantern (Volume 5)
- Green Lantern (Volume 6)
- The Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- The Green Lantern: Season Two (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern: New Guardians (Volume 1)
- Green Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)