"Once Upon a Time": Using the Cyber-Reality Inducer, Guy recaps the day he drank the Water of Warriors. What he doesn't remember is that, after drinking the water, an alien, introducing himself as Cardone, appeared before him in a hologram and placed him on a test.
- With great power comes great responsibility. Scratch that last part and insert great fun!
- — Warrior
Synopsis for "Once Upon a Time"
Using the Cyber-Reality Inducer, Guy recaps the day he drank the Water of Warriors. What he doesn't remember is that, after drinking the water, an alien, introducing himself as Cardone, appeared before him in a hologram and placed him on a test.
In the memories, Guy fights some aliens in an arena, where he develops his morphing powers for the first time. Guy defeats his opponents, using his ability to turn his body into weapons. After the test, Cardone gives Guy a history lesson about his people: the Vuldarians. The Vuldarians were a race of warriors dedicated to protecting their galaxy. A war against the Tormocks caused the destruction of their home planet, Vuldar, which led them to seek refuge and pass their knowledge on to other races, taking DNA samples of their greatest warriors and adding them to their bloodline.
In time, they reached a primitive Earth, where they found they were compatible with the humans for interbreeding. Landing in the Nabba jungle, the Vuldarians were accepted by the natives, who agreed to select one woman to breed a Vuldarian child. However, the native leader sabotaged the gestation by intoxicating the woman, who, in the end, gave birth to a monster.
Centuries later, the Vuldarians on Earth passed away, but their research led them to achieve a successful merger between both races. From that merger came Guy Gardner, which is the reason for his warrior instincts to help the weak. The revelation drives Guy mad, losing control of his powers and screaming about how they turned him into a monster. Cardone, deeming him unprepared to accept his heritage, causes his powers to go dormant and erases his memories of their meeting.
Days later, Guy recaps the events using the Cyber-Reality Inducer, and he learns about his Vuldarian legacy again.
Appearing in "Once Upon a Time"
- Vuldarians (First appearance)
- Ancient Spirits
- Hal Jordan (Flashback only)
- Kilowog (Flashback only)
- Mace Gardner (Flashback only)
- Peggy Gardner (Flashback only)
- Rolly Gardner (Flashback only)
- Vuldar (Flashback only)
- In October of 1994, all of the existing mainstream DC Comics titles released a special "0" issue to coincide with the Zero Hour crossover event. The purpose of the "0" issue was to reveal a previously unknown aspect of the title character's background. DC Titles under the Vertigo imprint were largely unaffected by Zero Hour and thus, no "0" issue specials were published for them.
- Guy Gardner Recommended Reading
Links and References
|Zero Hour Crossover|
The events from this issue or series are related to Zero Hour: Crisis in Time!, or its successor event Zero Month. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the Zero Hour category.