In his civillian life, he is a test pilot for Ferris Aircraft.
As a child, Hal idolized his father, Martin Jordan, so when he died in a plane explosion, Hal was devastated but still decided to follow in his father's footsteps and become a fighter pilot. Becoming a pilot for Ferris Aircraft, he was irresponsible, arriving late for an important trial of new U-CAV's. He and Carol Ferris competed against Intelligent fighter jets and due to Hal's determined attitude he successfully found a way to beat the fighter jets which broke the rules of engagement and nearly cost Ferris Aircrafts the contract.
When Abin Sur's ship crashed on Earth, Hal was chosen and carried to Sur's crash site, becoming the first human member of the Green Lantern Corps. After being collected by Thomas Kalmaku, Hal recited the Green Lantern oath. He managed to create a giant fist construct when some employees who lost their jobs thanks to Hal tried to beat him up. Hal was then transported to Oa for training. Being trained by Tomar-Re, Kilowog and finally Sinestro. Sinestro didn't believe Hal to be worthy to wear the ring. Hal agreed and returned to Earth where, as Green Lantern, he saved Senator Robert Hammond's life as well as Carol's.
Hal revealed the power of the ring to Thomas who persuades him to go see Carol as the "hero always gets the girl". So Hal went to see Carol who recognized Hal behind the mask. The couple reconnected but their moment of happiness was cut short when Carol decided she didn't want to be hurt again. Hal was alerted by his ring of trouble and fought Hector Hammond who attempted to kill his father a second time. Hammond realized through visions that Hal was the mysterious Green Lantern and defeated the hero whilst successfully killing his father.
Hal returned to Oa where Sinestro had persuaded the Guardians to create a yellow power ring. Hal convinced them not to use it and instead help him save the Earth from Parallax who had nearly reached it. The Guardians refused to help but Hal decided to return to fight anyway. He encountered Hector once more, now in an electric wheelchair. Hector threatened to inject Carol with Parallax's DNA to make her like Hector. Hal removed his ring and offered it to Hector in exchange for Carol. Hector accepted, thinking he had won when Hal revealed that in order to wield the ring you have to be chosen. Parallax arrived and sucked out Hector's soul, killing him. Hal tried to reach his ring so he can fight Parallax but instead got lifted by Parallax who tried to feed on his fear. Carol passed Hal his ring and he became Green Lantern once again, fighting Parallax and trying to overcome his fear. He led Parallax toward the sun using what Kilowog taught him about it's gravitational pull. Parallax was drawn into the sun and was killed. Hal was left exhausted and not strong enough to escape the gravitational pull, began to fall toward the sun when a construct pulled him out. Sinestro, Kilowog and Tomar-Re had saved him.
The four Lanterns returned to Oa where Sinestro commended Hal's efforts and informs the Corps that the enemy has been defeated. Hal returned to Earth and rekindles his relationship with Carol.
After Parallax was defeated, Amon Sur arranged a funeral for his father, Abin Sur. Manhunters attacked Oa and it fell to Hal to protect Oa and tried to prevent the Manhunters from stealing the yellow energy of fear. The Manhunters escaped with some of the energy and were pursued by Kilowog back to Biot while Hal went to Zamaron to protect Queen Aga'po, leader of the Zamarons, from the Manhunter threat. She became possessed for a time but Hal eventually freed her from the Manhunters' control. Hal then traveled to Biot to aid Kilowog, destroying the Manhunters' weapons and rescuing Kilowog only to realize that Amon Sur was the traitor and is planning to attack Oa. Hal intercepted him on Oa and defeated the Ungaran before he could fulfill his plan.
- Aviation: Hal Jordan is one of Ferris Aircraft's best pilots.
- Indomitable Will: Hal Jordan is without fear; he bravely broke the rules of engagement when he was flying his F-35, which the news referred to as "daring maneuvers." As he puts it, it is his job to not be scared. Abin Sur's ring chose him when the former commanded it to "choose well." His will has been described as the greatest in the universe. His power is only limited by his own imagination, making him one of the most powerful Green Lanterns in the universe. He has defeated Parallax, who was destroyed five Green Lanterns earlier, including Hal's predecessor, Abin Sur.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the film Green Lantern and is an adaptation of Hal Jordan/Green Lantern. The original character was created by John Broome and Gil Kane and first appeared in Showcase #22.
- Hal was portrayed by Ryan Reynolds while Gattlin Griffith portays him as a child during flashbacks.
- 4 Appearances of Hal Jordan (Green Lantern Movie)
- 12 Images featuring Hal Jordan (Green Lantern Movie)
- Quotations by or about Hal Jordan (Green Lantern Movie)
- Character Gallery: Hal Jordan (Green Lantern Movie)
|Green Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to act as their sector's Green Lantern and to protect it from interstellar threats with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Green Lantern Corps members category."