In his civillian life, he is a test pilot for Ferris Aircraft.
As a child, Hal idolized his father, Martin Jordan, so when he died in a plane explosion, Hal was devastated but still decided to follow in his father's footsteps and become a fighter pilot. Becoming a pilot for Ferris Aircraft, he was irresponsible, arriving late for an important trial of new U-CAV's. He and Carol Ferris competed against Intelligent fighter jets and due to Hal's determined attitude he successfully found a way to beat the fighter jets which broke the rules of engagement and nearly cost Ferris Aircrafts the contract.
When Abin Sur's ship crashes on Earth, Hal was chosen and carried to Sur's crash site, becoming the first human member of the Green Lantern Corps. After being collected by Thomas Kalmaku, Hal recites the Green Lantern oath. He manages to create a giant fist construct when some employees who lost their jobs thanks to Hal tried to beat him up. Hal was then transported to Oa for training. Being trained by Tomar-Re, Kilowog and finally Sinestro. Sinestro does not believe Hal to be worthy to wear the ring. Hal agrees and returns to Earth where, as Green Lantern, he saves Senator Robert Hammond's life as well as Carol's.
Hal reveals the power of the ring to Thomas who persuades him to go see Carol as the "hero always gets the girl". So Hal goes to see Carol who recognises Hal behind the mask. The couple reconnect but their moment of happiness is cut short when Carol decides she doesn't want to be hurt again. Hal is alerted by his ring of trouble and fights Hector Hammond who attempts to kill his father a second time. Hammond realises through visions that Hal is the mysterious Green Lantern and defeats the hero whilst successfully killing his father.
Hal returns to Oa where Sinestro has persuaded the Guardians to create a yellow power ring. Hal convinces them not to use it and instead help him save the Earth from Parallax who has nearly reached it. The Guardians refuse to help but Hal decides to return to fight anyway. He encounters Hector once more, now in an electric wheelchair. Hector threatens to inject Carol with Parallax's DNA to make her like Hector. Hal removes his ring and offers it to Hector in exchange for Carol. Hector accepts, thinking he has won when Hal reveals that to wield the ring you have to be chosen. Parallax arrives and sucks out Hector's soul, killing him. Hal tries to reach his ring so he can fight Parallax but instead gets lifted by Parallax who tries to feed on his fear. Carol passes Hal his ring and he becomes Green Lantern once again, fighting Parallax and trying to overcome fear. He leads Parallax towards the sun using what Kilowog taught him about gravitational pull. Parallax is drawn into the sun and killed. Hal is exhausted and not strong enough to escape the gravitational pull and begins to fall towards the sun when a construct pulls him out. Sinestro, Kilowog and Tomar-Re had saved him.
The four Lanterns return to Oa where Sinestro commends Hal's efforts and informs the Corps that the enemy has been defeated. Hal returns to Earth and rekindles his relationship with Carol.
After Parallax is defeated, Amon Sur arranges a funeral for his father, Abin Sur. Manhunters attack Oa and it falls to Hal to protect Oa and try to prevent the Manhunters stealing the yellow energy of fear. The Manhunters escape with some of the energy and are pursued by Kilowog back to Biot while Hal goes to Zamaron to protect Queen Aga'po, leader of the Zamarons, from the Manhunter threat. She becomes possessed for a time but Hal eventually frees her from the Manhunters' control. Hal then travels to Biot to aid Kilowog, destroying the Manhunters' weapons and rescuing Kilowog only to realise that Amon Sur is the traitor and is planning to attack Oa. Hal intercepts him on Oa and defeats the Ungaran before he can fulfill his plans.
- Aviation: Hal Jordan is one of Ferris Aircraft's best pilots.
- Indomitable Will: Hal Jordan is without fear; he bravely broke the rules of engagement when he was flying his F-35, which the news referred to as "daring maneuvers." As he puts it, it is his job to not be scared. Abin Sur's ring chose him when the former commanded it to "choose well." His will has been described as the greatest in the universe. His power is only limited by his own imagination, making him one of the most powerful Green Lanterns in the universe. He has defeated Parallax, who was destroyed five Green Lanterns earlier, including Hal's predecessor, Abin Sur.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the film Green Lantern and is an adaptation of Hal Jordan/Green Lantern. The original character was created by John Broome and Gil Kane and first appeared in Showcase #22.
- Hal was portrayed by Ryan Reynolds while Gattlin Griffith portays him as a child during flashbacks.
- 4 Appearances of Hal Jordan (Green Lantern Movie)
- 12 Images featuring Hal Jordan (Green Lantern Movie)
- Quotations by or about Hal Jordan (Green Lantern Movie)
- Character Gallery: Hal Jordan (Green Lantern Movie)
|Green Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to act as their sector's Green Lantern and to protect it from interstellar threats with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Green Lantern Corps members category."