"Scourge of the Human Race!": Hawkman rescues an army corporal and his girlfriend from Makkar the Ancient, sole surviving winged amphibian of the Terravitans. They were Earth's original species, and had killed off all the human inhabitants of the ancient land of Mu, at the price of all their liv
- No war's over -- as long as one of us is alive to turn the tide of battle!
- -- Hawkman
Appearing in "Scourge of the Human Race!"
- Makkar the Ancient (Single appearance)
- The Terravitans (Warriors of Mu) (Single appearance)
- Corporal Phil and his unnamed girlfriend (Single appearance)
- Various Thanagarian Weaponry
- Ancient Swingle
- Ancient War Mallet
Synopsis for "Scourge of the Human Race!"
Hawkman rescues an army corporal and his girlfriend from Makkar the Ancient, sole surviving winged amphibian of the Terravitans. They were Earth's original species, and had killed off all the human inhabitants of the ancient land of Mu, at the price of all their lives except Makkar's, who lay in suspended animation until fifty years ago. With revenge foremost in his mind, Makkar intends to steal the Refraction Tube from a Midway City research lab, but he is prevented by Hawkman and Hawkgirl, who triumph over his primeval power bolts and other self-generated powers. Placed in suspended animation in the lab, he devolves into a form not affected by the inertia rays, and escapes. Then he activates a machine which he had juryrigged from several Atlantean devices; this would return the Earth to its primordial state, when his species flourished. Even as the Earth erupts in chaotic degeneration, Makkar battles Hawkman and Hawkgirl, while devolving to forms unaffected by their weapons. His defense backfires when they level a battering attack on his brain, and he devolves to an immobile primordial cell tissue form. With the threat ended, they place these remains in a hothouse environment.
- This book was first published on June 14, 1966.
- This story is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Hawkman (Volume ume) #2.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Hawkman Vol 1 15 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Hawkman series
- Hawkman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- The Atom (Volume 1): The Atom and Hawkman #39- #46
- Brightest Day
- Convergence: Hawkman
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Hawkgirl (Volume 1)
- Hawkman (Volume 1)
- Hawkman (Volume 2)
- Hawkman (Volume 3)
- Hawkman (Volume 4)
- Hawkman (Volume 5)
- Hawkworld (Volume 1)
- Hawkworld (Volume 2)
- JSA (Volume 1)
- Justice League of America (Volume 1)
- Justice League of America (Volume 3)
- Mystery in Space (Volume 1): Mystery in Space #87- #91
- The Savage Hawkman
- Shadow War of Hawkman
- World's Finest (Volume 1)