Hecate was originally a goddess of the wilderness and childbirth, naturalized early in Mycenaean Greece. A Chthonic deity, she is often associated with the moon and with magic. Hecate is the patron goddess of the sorceress Circe. Hecate was responsible for a prophecy that affected both Circe as well as her nemesis Wonder Woman. "Upon the death of witch and the birth of witch, Hecate, by name and choice, shall repossess her soul". Circe believed that she was acting upon the will of Hecate when she created her Hellfire Web, a powerful mystic spell designed to destroy the Earth-goddess Gaea and, in so doing, destroy the planet as well. During this "War of the Gods", Hecate came to realize that, in destroying Gaea, she would in essence be destroying herself as well. During the War, Wonder Woman was killed and subsequently reborn in the womb of Gaea, thus fulfilling the prophecy. Repossessing her soul, Hecate took away Circe's power at a critical moment and the sorceress was seemingly destroyed. Circe did not die, however, and would return to plague Wonder Woman time and time again.
- This character is an adaptation of Hecate, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- 10 Appearances of Hecate (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Hecate (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Hecate (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Hecate (New Earth)