"On the Beach": John Constantine makes a visit to the seaside resort where his family used to visit when he was a child. He hopes that he can use his time there to relax and not think about all of the things he has just been through.
- Jesus, we're all bloody doomed, aren't we? The entire species is flying off to Hell for its holidays. Somebody stop the world. I'm scared and I want to get off.
Synopsis for "On the Beach"
John Constantine makes a visit to the seaside resort where his family used to visit when he was a child. He hopes that he can use his time there to relax and not think about all of the things he has just been through.
Further along the beach, there is now a nuclear power plant where once there wasn't. There are protesters nearby, and not many people on the beach because of it. John finds himself a quiet place to sit and smoke, but he is interrupted by a young couple. The boyfriend apparently works at the power plant, and has no concern for his safety. While trying not to listen, John gets dizzy, and closes his eyes.
Suddenly, the power plant has a melt down, and all of the birds flying over head begin to die. The people on the beach begin to run away, and die out slowly until only John and the girlfriend of the plant-worker are left. After some time, they join together and despite their radiation poisoning, they try to conceive a child.
Nine months later, the woman gives birth to a baby, but it resembles a two-headed seal more than it does a human. The woman dies in the process of giving birth, but John carries the creature out into the sunlight, despite his own weakness from radiation poisoning, and urges it on toward the sea.
Swarms of skeletal birds begin swooping down and pecking at the little creature until it is killed, and John is anguished that he has lost his last chance at some kind of immortality. Finally, the birds peck him to death, until all that is left of him is a skeleton. He wanders into the sea, and sinks below the surface.
John wakes screaming from the dream, and comments to himself that he has to do something about the nightmares he's been having, lest they kill him.
Appearing in "On the Beach"
- John Constantine (Flashback and main story)
- Aunty Beatt (Flashback only)
- Cheryl Constantine (Flashback only)
- Tommy Constantine (Flashback only)
- Adam (Mentioned only)
- Dan Dare (Mentioned only)
- Emma (Mentioned only)
- Eve (Mentioned only)
- Mrs. McGuire (Mentioned only)
- Mighty Mouse (Mentioned only)
- The 'baby' that is born of John and the woman in this issue resembles a two-headed version of the creatures that man evolved into in Kurt Vonnegut's book Galápagos.
- Dan Dare's name is seen amongst the comics John collected as a child.