Helspont is a Daemonite, a race of aliens harvested to serve the Kherubim. When the Daemonites rebelled and the Kherubim/Daemonite war began, Helspont became a military commander sometime during this war and was stationed on the Daemonite ship that crashed on Earth thousands of years ago. He, along with the two other highest ranked surviving Daemonites, took the title High Lord and became a leader to the other Daemonites. Helspont controlled most of the Daemonites but the other High Lords (Defile and Hightower) became his enemies, each with their own plan to either take over or destroy Earth. Sometime during his time on Earth, Helspont somehow managed to get a hold of an Acurian body, and since all Daemonites are capable of possessing other beings, he stole it. The exact circumstances for his acquisition of the alien host are unknown, but according to Spartan, it happened some centuries after the fall of the Roman empire.
In the 1970's, Helspont made his first documented move against humanity by trying to start a nuclear war between the most powerful nations on Earth in order to allow humanity to destroy themselves so the planet would be empty for the Daemonites. Helspont allied with the superhuman notorious New York City mobster Slaughterhouse Smith and his men (one of which would go on to become Pike a member of Helspont's second Cabal) to help him in his plot.
Helspont led Smith, his men and some Daemonites in an attack against a US missile base in order to get access to a nuke. In less than half an hour they had complete control and Team One was sent to stop them. Before they showed up though, Helspont turned on Smith. He announced that he planned to launch the first missile at New York City, where Smith's family and only friends lived. Smith tried to stop him, but Helspont had control of his men so Smith could do nothing but stand there. As Helspont got ready to launch the missile, Team One arrived and a fight ensued, in which Helspont himself was locked into battle with Mr. Majestic; however, Helspont managed to launched the missile while. What exactly happened next is unknown since, but the plot the destroy to New York was foiled. After the Team One incident, Helspont disappears for a while and isn't seen for decades.
Helspont returned with a new plan in the 1990's. Instead of eradicating the human race on his own, he planned on contacting a Daemonite armada. Once contact was established, the next stage of his plan was to open a stargate in Earth's orbit so the fleet of alien ships at Daemon could reach Earth quickly and attack from space. The name of the process was the Reunification. In order to create and maintain the portal needed for the Reunification, Helspont needed one of several magical orbs of power. One of the other orbs was carried inside the body of Void, a member of the WildC.A.T.s. Since she carried an orb inside her, she knew when another one was being targeted and was able to warn Lord Emp, leader of the WildC.A.T.s before it was too late, and they fought to prevent Helspont from succeeding. In order to help him get the orb before the WildC.A.T.s could stop him, Helspont created his own group, a new incarnation of The Cabal. This Cabal was made up of Helspont, a Coda, Pike, a psychic named Providence, and a few humans and numerous Daemonites.
The first battle between the WildC.A.T.s and Helspont's people occurred when Grifter was sent to get Voodoo to join the team. During his attempt at recruiting her, he was attacked by Helspont's hired Coda warrior and two Daemonites. The attack ended with the entire area destroyed in a fiery explosion and the death of Helspont's soldiers and the escape of the WildC.A.T.s. Helspont thought they were dead though, and continued with his plan for Reunification. The next stage involved having one of his Daemonites break into a NASA compound and steal the orb. After that was done, the last step was getting a Daemonite into the body of Dan Quayle, the Vice President of the United States. This went without incident and with an inside man, he was able to secure a military base where he could access the right machinery to operate the orb in order to create the stargate.
To keep the WildC.A.T.s off his back, he'd tricked them into fighting the Youngblood. Before the two teams could figure out they had been tricked, Spartan was almost totally destroyed. Voodoo and Maul were also incapacitated and the rest of the team was forced abandon them and go after Helspont alone. Just as Helspont and his scientists had started to activate the machines to begin the Reunification, the remainder of the WildC.A.T.s (Emp, Zealot, Grifter, Warblade and Void) arrived and attacked. While Helspont tried to hurry up the process of Reunification, the super powered members of his Cabal fought the WildC.A.T.s. Meanwhile, elsewhere in the base, another member of Helspont's Cabal arrived with his own minions. Gnome had planned on betraying Helspont from the start so he could wield the power of the orb on his own. He'd hired the Troika and his own Coda warrior and while Helspont's people fought the WildC.A.T.s, he made his way towards them. Unbeknown to all of these people, back where the Youngblood and WildC.A.T.s had been fighting, Voodoo, Maul and Spartan had all regained enough strength to kill the Daemonite in the body of the Vice President and fill the Youngblood in on what was happening. During the battle, Helspont saw Emp for the first time that night and recognized him as an enemy he had thought he'd killed when he fought Team One. This obviously angered Helspont and he began fighting on his own, no longer relying on Pike and The Coda to do it for him. With a few energy attacks and psychic assaults, he quickly subdue the WildC.A.T.s on his own. With all his enemies out of the picture, Helspont activated the orb, opened a stargate in Earth-space and the night sky began to fill with Daemonite ships.
As Helspont basked in his victory, Voodoo, Maul and the entire Youngblood team (accompanied by Dan Quayle) attacked. This didn't bother him though, as he created a powerful energy shield that stopped the combined attack and then disabled the entire team in one blast. As the orb continued to bring in more ships, Emp used a hidden communicator to contact Spartan, who was at the buildings core, where the machines that powered the whole place were. Still damaged from before, he used the last of his power to shut down the entire compound. As a result, the orb stopped working properly (destroying the Daemonite ships in transit as well as ones near the stargate) and the machines that had been powering it exploded. Helspont was thrown back by the explosion but wouldn't give up on his chance to take over the world. He went to recover what was left of the orb so he could use it, but when he reached the machine, he found Gnome and his men. Gnome revealed that he had rigged the entire compound to blow and before anyone could react, he unleashed all of the power of the orb onto Helspont in an attempt to kill him. As Helspont lay motionless on the ground, the WildC.A.T.s attacked Gnome and the Troika. Emp blew off the arm of Gnome and he dropped the orb down a shaft. He dove after it while everyone that was still alive escaped the building. The entire compound exploded moments later and Helspont, Gnome and the orb were all assumed dead or destroyed.
Mr. Majestic has always been Helspont's greatest enemy, and for a couple reasons. As Daemonite and Kherubim, they were raised to hate each other even before they met one another and both beings could easily be called the strongest of their individual races. Majestic is the only being in the Wildstorm Universe that could stand up to Helspont one-on-one and live and vice versa. They both thought they had destroyed the other in the battle that ensued, but they learned otherwise decades later.
Helspont, going by the name James Wyvern (Wyvern for short), ran a company by the name of Pacificon. Pacificon was one of only a handful of companies that had access to Kherubim Technology (as well as other xenotech) and was making billions in the bioengineering business. Their top product was something Helspont himself came up with and was selling to governments all over the world. It was something called Biomass Enhanciles. This technology amped up natural things in the human body for superhuman effects (such as increasing the body's electrical field for electricity control, amplifying vocal decibel range for sonic screams, etc.) Helspont's reunion with Majestic came when he took a team of bio-enhanced soldiers into a Planet Shaper he'd discovered on Earth. Majestic also knew about the Planet Shaper and was going to it with Zealot and Desmond so he could disable the machine before it could destroy Earth. Deep in the bowels of the Shaper, Helspont (in the guise of Wyvern) came across Majestic and immediately sent his men after him. His men were easily beaten so he took them away and pretended to give up. When out of sight of Majestic, he increased the power of the enhanciles and merged the group of men into one monstrous entity called Biomass. While Biomass fought Majestic and Zealot, Helspont tricked Desmond into connecting with the Planet Shaper, allowing him to access and control the machine.
With control of the Planet Shaper, Helspont commanded it to recount its history. It did so and Helspont learned the secret history of the Kherubim, the Daemonites and their war. He (along with Majestic and Zealot) discovered that the Kherubim had made the Daemonites to be their slaves. When they refused and rebelled, the war started. With this news, Helspont's hate for Kherubim overwhelmed him and he attacked Majestic and Zealot. He was thoroughly beating them but was forced to retreat when more Kherubim arrived. They had come to activate the Planet Shaper so they could terraform Earth. Helspont fled and Majestic was captured so his genes could be used to restart his race. Majestic eventually escaped from the Kherubim but he was weak, so Desmond, still attached to the Planet Shaper, contacted Helspont telepathically. When Majestic (and Spartan) were ready to go fight the other Kherubim, they were met by Helspont, who was to be their ally. What Majestic and Spartan didn't know, was that Helspont planned on taking the Planet Shaper for himself after they took it from the Kherubim.
Once inside the machine, Helspont fought Imperator (a Kherubim with powers like Majestic) while Majestic and Spartan took on other enemies. Helspont put up a good fight, easily beating Imperator for most of their battle, but the more they fought, the more his hate for Kherubim grew, and he stopped fighting smart. Imperator took the opportunity to laser Helspont's throat, then punch through him, ending his life. Or so he thought. Helspont, using his Daemonite powers, jumped into the body of Desmond, who was still connected to the machine. His mind now part of the Planet Shaper, he used the machines holograms to trick Imperator into thinking the world had been destroyed, which left him in a coma. Majestic arrived and took away Imperator's body, but wasn't fooled by the corpse of Helspont's old host. He knew that his enemy was still alive and would use the Planet Shaper to take over the world if he wasn't stopped. For almost three months Helspont and Majestic fought a new kind of battle. Instead of a physical one, it was one of patience. Helspont kept trying to activate the machines terraforming processes and Majestic kept shutting them down. It couldn't go on forever though, since Majestic was dying of a disease he'd gotten from time traveling too much. Against all probability, Helspont was the one to lose. The Planet Shaper could only remain functional while there were living things on Earth, but right when Majestic was about to die, all life on Earth was kidnapped by a powerful alien force, something Majestic knew was going to happen thanks to his time traveling. With the machine deactivated, Helspont was trapped in Desmond's dead body. Majestic, dying as he did it, took Desmond's body off the machine and blasted it to ash with laser vision, killing Helspont once and for all. Helspont's victory had been snatched from him yet again.
In the rebooted Wildstorm Universe, Helspont is alive and well but very different from how he was before. Though he looks mostly the same, everything about him has changed. Instead of being a normal Daemonite with an amazingly powerful body, Helspont is now a super evolved, living hive mind. When the number of Daemonites reaches a certain number, a "central mind" is created. It has the knowledge and intelligence of every member of the entire Daemonite race and it's (synthetic) body is a mix of flesh, metal and fire. Not only does Helspont now have the minds of every Daemonite within his own, but he can control every single Daemonite with a thought. Because of all this, he is leagues more powerful than he was before, but the state of his personal powers has not been addressed yet.
Helspont has a Daemonite armada and teamed up with Kaizen Gamorra to try to take over Earth.
- Daemonite Physiology: The following represents the potential alien abilities available to the average Daemonite while operating on Earth. Even if demonstration of such abilities has not been explicitly shown in a canonical resource. The higher the status of the Daemonite the stronger their abilities are. Training and practice of their abilities allow them to break the cap of their abilities. Variations of these powers may apply depending upon the wielder in question.
- Accelerated Healing: If a Daemonite is ever harmed it can heal indefinitely while it's brain still survives. Daemonites have been seen losing their limbs, internal organs and portions of their brains while still surviving. It also seems that Daemonites heal more quickly while resting within a host body.
- Chronokinesis Most Daemonites possess a degree of time manipulation however the exact limits of this ability are unknown.
- Claws: Daemonites have long, dangerous claws on each hand and foot which they use within combat and to help break the mental barrier of their host bodies. They can also expose these claws while within their host body to allow for stronger attacks.
- Fangs: Daemonites have long, dangerous fangs in their mouths which they use to rend and tear at targets. Their fangs can help them breach the mental barriers of their hosts. Some Daemonites use long tendrils instead of fangs for the same effects.
- Immortality: Daemonites have survived for countless years within and without a host body. It is assumed by scientists and enemies of the Daemonites that they are immortal; however, this may only be the case in mental form. As such Daemonites can in fact live forever if only while within a host body. Without a body it can still survive at least a million years.
- Metamorphosis: Only the strongest of Daemonites can shape-shift. Only the strongest of those Daemonites can change into inorganic material. A Daemonite can shape-shift even while possessing a host body but they'll normally revert quite quickly. Only one Daemonite has been seen shifting his body parts into inorganic material but the possibility remains for all Daemonites.
- Phasing: Daemonites have a degree of intangibility allowing them to phase through solid objects as they do when they take possession of a host body. They can continue to phase even while within their host body. Their phasing isn't automatic and they must concentrate to hold their form.
- Possession: Daemonites are parasitic beings that not only take complete control over another being's body but inhabits their mind as well. They feed on the nutrients and physiology of the host body until the body is destroyed or the Daemonite abandons it. Normally, possession causes no harm to the physical body but the process changes frequently. The stronger the Daemonite the easier the transition. Occasionally, the Daemonite can leave the host body violently and destroy the body.
- Superhuman Durability: A Daemonite's body is more durable than that of a human while on Earth. While some Daemonites cannot survive a bullet to the head which removes their brain functions others can take multiple bullets to their body without harm. Physical training can increase a Daemonite's durability.
- Superhuman Speed: A Daemonite's body is faster than that of a human while on Earth. Either while within a human host or not they exhibit incredible amounts of speed which can carry them to speeds that match that of most street cars while their physical capabilities of speed while in combat also increase past human levels.
This also confers:
- Superhuman Strength: A Daemonite's body is stronger than that of a human while on Earth. When a Daemonite must they will resort to physical combat and exhibit their strength enough to roll over cars or rip off a door to a plane. A Daemonite's strength is determined by their physical capability and some Daemonites may not be as strong as others.
- Telepathy: Daemonites are not only physical beings that take possession of host bodies but they manipulate the mental effects of the beings as well. Not limited to only understanding the thoughts of each other or their hosts they can extend this ability to a wide range and even track targets by their mental signature. Most Daemonites are connected by a central mind which they do not need to focus to maintain.
- Acurian Physiology: His Acurian host body increases his strength and durability to levels that let him combat heroes like Mr. Majestic and come out alive. A unique trait Helspot has is the ability to possess multiple vessels at the same time, even from within his own body.
- Superhuman Strength: Helspont possesses superhuman strength on a level that is equal to those of Mister Majestic, Apollo, and other known Wildstorm powerhouse characters. During his confrontation with Superman, Helspont demonstrated that he has the strength to hurt and injure Superman.
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Speed
- Telekinesis: His telekinetic and energy powers have been used almost interchangeably for blasts, shields and controlling things from a distance.
- Energy Manipulation: He's even used his energy manipulation to make simple shapes like poles and blades.
- Leadership: His greatest skill though is his ability to lead, and in some cases, manipulate others. He commands great Daemonite, half-Daemonite, and even human armies that will do his bidding without question.
- Weapons Master
- Environmental Intolerance: M-Class planets such as Earth have a highly toxic effect to his true Daemonite form after a short while.
- 28 Appearances of Helspont (Wildstorm Universe)
- 8 Images featuring Helspont (Wildstorm Universe)
- Quotations by or about Helspont (Wildstorm Universe)
- Character Gallery: Helspont (Wildstorm Universe)