Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- Commander Steel. The indestructible man.
- — Commander Steel src
Henry Heywood was the hero known as Commander Steel.
Biology student Henry Heywood enlisted in the US Army, but soon suffered what would have been a fatal injury. His life was saved by an experimental procedure that replaced all of his bones with steel.
Henry was killed by a robot created by Ivo and his body was destroyed by the alien conqueror Despero and he was later revived as a Black Lantern. He was one of the heroes restored by the White Lanterns.
Heroes in Crisis
He went to Sanctuary to deal with the trauma of his deaths. He was one of the heroes killed in Sanctuary by Wally West. Upon autopsying his corpse, Batman discovered Joker Teeth in his throat.
Powers and Abilities
- Black Lantern Ring (Formerly): After being killed by Amazo, Heywood was resurrected by Black Hand, and was given a Black Lantern Ring to fight his former allies with. He was later freed from the ring's control and fully resurrected.
- Commander Steel was created by Gerry Conway and Don Heck, first appearing in Steel #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Commander Steel first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Heroes in Crisis #1 by Tom King and Clay Mann.
- Commander Steel was often called the "Indestructible Man".
- For some reason he seems to have the memories of being a Black Lantern and being on the Justice League despite most of the events didn’t quite happen in the New 52.
- 13 Appearances of Henry Heywood (Prime Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Henry Heywood (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Henry Heywood (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Henry Heywood (Prime Earth)
|All-Star Squadron member|
This character is or was a member of the All-Star Squadron in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "All-Star Squadron members" category.
|Black Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Those who have died may wield the Black Power Ring, symbolizing their lack of both life and emotion.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Black Lantern Corps members category."
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.