When Henry King was a youngster, he finds he has the power to create three dimensional images of whatever person or persons he thinks of. He used this power to frighten people and gain personnal profit. He loved a girl named Lucy, but she had eyes only to Edwin Ackerman, with who she later married. As the years went by, in very young age, King's head grew abnormally and he lose hair; maybe this is related to his metahuman power. As an adult he became a master criminal. He acted behind-the-scenes against the Justice Society at least twice: behind the criminal acts of Prof. Elba and trapping the JSA in a machine that amplied his mental powers and dipped them into a dream-state where they would be all killed by war illusions. Green Lantern's willpower was fundamental to defeat this plot. The JSA did not know about Brainwave involvement or even his existence.  In his first public showdown against the JSA, Brainwave used his illusions to commit crimes and forged false letters from JSAers to Wonder Woman, their secretary, in order to trick the team. He was also tormenting Edwin Ackerman, now a physicist, using illusions to drive him insane. The JSA, along their girlfriends, were able to defeat King. Using his illusory powers, King was married to Merry Pemberton, and they had a child who would become his heroic successor. King was a member of the Injustice Society and later of the Secret Society of Super-Villains II. During some months he was trapped along other villains in the Interdimensional Limbo. He was plugged out from this prison by the Ultra-Humanite/Delores Winter from 1942. For a time, he took to projecting an illusion of a himself in a younger, taller and more handsome costumed form when in action. Henry King ultimately died protecting his son from the Ultra-Humanite. As a last redemption, Henry King also transferred all his mental powers to his son.
Main article: Blackest Night
Henry King was resurrected to become a member of the Black Lantern Corps along with many others during Blackest Night, receiving his own power ring. Eventually, his body was destroyed by Ray Palmer of the Indigo Tribe, channeling both the green and indigo lights.
Powers and Abilities
- Illusion Casting: Brain Wave could consistently change not only visual appearance of anybody or anything, but also could create illusions which affect all other senses. For example, he could create illusory fruits which could be enjoyed; creating illusory menaces with attacks which produce pain (actually causing mental damage).
- Genius Level Intellect
- Power Distribution: Henry King transferred all his mental powers to his son.
- Force Field
- Black Lantern Ring (Formerly)
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- When Brain Wave was a youngster he was a normal-looking child with blond hair.
- Brainwave is, like Doctor Psycho, frustrated in his relationships with women due to his appearance, first with his childhood love, Lucy; Brainwave also took a pretty actress against her will when he was a Ultra-Humanite's Secret Society member.
- 55 Appearances of Henry King, Sr. (New Earth)
- 12 Images featuring Henry King, Sr. (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Henry King, Sr. (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Henry King, Sr. (New Earth)
|Justice Society Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice Society, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Justice Society Villains" category.
Secret Society of Super-Villains member
|Black Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Those who have died may wield the Black Power Ring, symbolizing their lack of both life and emotion.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Black Lantern Corps members category."