Copy Edit Needed
Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
This section of the history takes place during the New 52, between the events of Flashpoint and DC Rebirth. It was later revealed that much of Wonder Woman's history from this time was an elaborate illusion created by the Gods of Olympus to keep her away from Paradise Island. All or part of this section may have been part of that illusion and no longer valid in Rebirth.
They tell her that Zeus is her actually her father, and even worse he tells her the truth about the male Amazons. The Amazons of Themyscira every thirty three years capture and seduce wayward travelers to replenish their numbers and then kill them, once they have fulfilled their purpose. When a daughter is born she is welcomed into the Amazon tribe but all the males are killed; that is until Hephaestus started trading them for weapons. The males are looked after and grow up to be laborers in his forge. Wonder Woman attempted to free them from their slavery, but they resisted, thinking instead that it is not slavery, he rescued them and have given the life purpose.
Sometime later Eros and Hephaestus journey to the Underwolrd to the wedding with Wonder Woman, only to make her escape once they arrive. Hades was upset about it all, mostly because he did not understand how Wonder Woman could love everyone since he does not love himself to any degree. Hephaestus gives the god a present a silver mirror. Wonder Woman makes a long shot at Hades with one of Eros' pistols while he was looking at himself in the mirror.
Powers and Abilities
- Metal Sculpture
- Artifact Creation
- This character is an adaptation of Hephaestus, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Hephaestus was first adapted by Martin Pasko and Jose Delbo, first appearing in Wonder Woman #226. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Hephaestus first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Wonder Woman (Volume 4) #7 by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang.
- 33 Appearances of Hephaestus (Prime Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Hephaestus (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Hephaestus (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Hephaestus (Prime Earth)