The ambitious Captain Stephen Trevor of the British Royal Air Marines was the sole survivor of the crew when an anarchist bomb ignited the gas cells of the airship H.M.S. Disraeli, having swum almost without strength to the beaches of a mysterious island inhabited solely by women: Amazonia.
He deceived the queen of the Amazons, Hippolyta, by making himself a good man and gaining their confidence so that he could know their secrets. After he was rescued, he informed the government of his discovery. With the desire to conquer the island, the British Crown sent a squadron of both air and sea ships. The Amazons fought bravely, but were overtaken by the British military superiority and were almost all killed, including Hippolyta, and the rest of them were enslaved and kept on the island, which now belonged to the British Empire.
Diana was about three at the moment, and she was snatched away from Amazonia by the soldiers of the Royal Air Marines squadron captained by Captain Trevor.
- Amazonian Physiology: The Amazons are a race of warrior women that have received gifts and blessings from five Olympian goddesses: Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Hestia and Aphrodite. Hippolyta possesses the same potential powers as an average Amazon. These include:
- Enhanced Intellect: A gift from Athena, the Amazons have the wisdom to be guided by peace and justice.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Agility
- Immortality: The Amazons were gifted immortality. The people of Themyscira lived forever, though could be killed in war or in an accident. Those who followed Antiope and Phthia and became the Bana-Mighdall lost their immortality.
- Self-Sustenance: So long as Hippolyta stays on Themyscira, she does not require food, water or any other form of nourishment to maintain her health and vitality. Although they are not susceptible to the throes of hunger, this does not mean that Amazons don't consume food for enjoyment. The Amazons frequently hold great festivals wherupon food is served.
- Amazonian Training: The Amazons honed their skills in many fields, aided by the gifts from Athena and Artemis.
- 1 Appearances of Hippolyta (Earth-34)
- 2 Images featuring Hippolyta (Earth-34)
- Quotations by or about Hippolyta (Earth-34)
- Character Gallery: Hippolyta (Earth-34)
Expression error: Unexpected > operator.