Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
When Hippolyta found out she was pregnant with Zeus' children, she knew there was a chance one of them could be a boy, something that would be impossible to hide on Themyscira. Fearing Hera's jealous wrath, she invented the false story that her daughter Diana had been molded from clay and contacted Glaucus to adopt her son Jason if she were to have one in order to protect him.
- Amazonian Physiology: The Amazons are a race of warrior women that have received gifts and blessings from five Olympian goddesses: Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Hestia and Aphrodite. The average Amazon possesses the potential for the following power set:
- Enhanced Intellect: A gift from Athena, the Amazons have the wisdom to be guided by peace and justice.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Agility
- Immortality: The Amazons were gifted immortality. The people of Themyscira lived forever, though could be killed in war or in an accident. Those who followed Antiope and Phthia and became the Bana-Mighdall lost their immortality.
- Self-Sustenance: So long as the Amazons stay on Themyscira, she does not require food, water or any other form of nourishment to maintain her health and vitality. Although they are not susceptible to the throes of hunger, this does not mean that Amazons don't consume food for enjoyment. The Amazons frequently hold great festivals wherupon food is served.
- Reality Construction: Hippolyta created the Dimension Chi, where her every action would be mirrored darkly by her evil double, Empress Hippolyta, as a form of self-knowledge.
- Amazonian Training: The Amazons honed their skills in many fields, aided by the gifts from Athena and Artemis.
- Kanga Chariot Driving
- Military Protocol
- Hippolyta was created by William Moulton Marston and Harry G. Peter, first appearing in All-Star Comics #8. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Hippolyta first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Wonder Woman (Volume 4) #2 by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang.
- This character is an adaptation of Hippolyta, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Philippus is called "my love" by Hippolyta in Wonder Woman (Volume 5) #2, and in Wonder Woman (Volume 5) #15 it was suggested that they sleep together and that this is recurrent, confirming that they are lovers.
- 65 Appearances of Hippolyta (Prime Earth)
- 10 Images featuring Hippolyta (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Hippolyta (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Hippolyta (Prime Earth)
|Wonder Woman Family member|