Hippolyta was the queen of the Amazons of Themyscira.
The Amazons rebelled, which led to a lengthy and costly war against Ares and Thrax. Hippolyta was eventually forced to kill Thrax, lamenting what a monster he had become in the care of his father. She nearly killed Ares as well, had Zeus and Hera not intervened. Ares was stripped of his powers and left in a prison on a new island paradise, Themyscira, to be watched over by the Amazons.
Hippolyta created a daughter from the Earth of Themiscrya. She named her Diana and though she sheltered her away from some of the more violent things in the world, she knew deep down that her daughter was a great warrior. Hippolyta eventually let her daughter go to the United States after a pilot crash landed on Themiscrya. After learning that Ares had escaped his prison, Hippolyta rallied her armies to aid her daughter in defeating Ares and his army of the undead, which culminated in another bloody battle in Washington, D.C. Hippolyta killed the traitor Persephone, who had helped Ares escape his prison.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the film Wonder Woman and is an adaptation of Hippolyta. The original character was created by William Moulton Marston and Harry G. Peter and first appeared in All-Star Comics #8.
- This character is an adaptation of Hippolyta, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Queen Hippolyta was voiced by Virginia Madsen.
- 1 Appearances of Hippolyta (Wonder Woman 2009 Movie)
- 1 Images featuring Hippolyta (Wonder Woman 2009 Movie)
- Quotations by or about Hippolyta (Wonder Woman 2009 Movie)
- Character Gallery: Hippolyta (Wonder Woman 2009 Movie)
|Wonder Woman Family member|