Hippolyta is the queen of the Amazons of Paradise Island. Thousands of years ago, Hippolyta and her sisters were the slaves of men throughout Rome and Greece. When the Amazons shook off the shackles of slavery, Hippolyta led them to an island refuge deep in the Bermuda Triangle. She named this haven Paradise Island, and decreed that man would be forever forbidden to step foot on its shores.
As centuries passed, Hippolyta got a daughter, Diana. In 1942, Diana discovered an American officer named Major Steve Trevor who had washed up on the shore of Paradise Island. Hippolyta was agitated by Trevor's presence and wanted Diana to have as little to do with him as possible. When it came time to return Trevor to the United States, Diana volunteered to act as his escort. Hippolyta forbade Diana from leaving, and declared that a tournament would be held to determine which Amazon would be chosen for the task. Diana disguised herself as one of the contestants and won every contest. At the trial of Bullets and Bracelets, Diana unmasked herself and Hippolyta's worst nightmares came true. Forced to honor the tradition of the tournament, Hippolyta agreed to allow Diana to act as Paradise Island's emissary and bring Steve Trevor back to the United States.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series Wonder Woman and is an adaptation of Hippolyta. The original character was created by William Moulton Marston and Harry G. Peter and first appeared in All-Star Comics #8.
- This character is an adaptation of Hippolyta, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Hippolyta was portrayed by Cloris Leachman in the pilot episode "The New Original Wonder Woman", Carolyn Jones for three episodes of the remainder of the series' first season, and Beatrice Straight in two episodes after the series changed networks and setting.
- Hippolyta is never addressed by name throughout the course of the series. She is referred to and credited only as the Queen.
- 9 Appearances of Hippolyta (Wonder Woman TV Series)
- 6 Images featuring Hippolyta (Wonder Woman TV Series)
- 1 Quotations by or about Hippolyta (Wonder Woman TV Series)
- Character Gallery: Hippolyta (Wonder Woman TV Series)