Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- Only I can face Gotham's madness and not be overcome. I have perfectly optimized my brain chemistry. I am the one sane person in an insane city. Tonight, I confront you with your monstrous inadequacies. Then, as Cro-Magnon met Neanderthal, I club you, skin you and wear your hide. Because you're unfit for it. Gotham City needs Batman. And after tonight... Batman will be me.
- — Hugo Strange src
Hugo Strange is an amoral psychologist who walked out on his partner and child some sixteen years ago.
While Bruce Wayne was off training for several years after his parents murder, Hugo Strange was hired by Philip Kane, acting as the head of Wayne Enterprises in Wayne's absence, to research the anatomy and physiology of the brain. Strange worked closely with Dr. Karl Helfern, studying bones, and Paul Dekker, focusing on soft tissue, forming what Kane dubbed "the Doctors Three". 
Some time after the appearance of Batman, Hugo Strange moved from Wayne Enterprises to Arkham Asylum where he used his physiology skills on the patients there. Dr. Strange worked alongside Harleen Quinzel during his time there.
Despite his criminal activities, Dr. Strange appears to maintain a staff position at Gotham Academy.
- Genius Level Intellect
- Tactical Analysis
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- Science: Hugo Strange is extremely intelligent on the inner workings of the brain, being renowned for his research on it when he worked at Wayne Enterprises.
- Peak Human Condition
- Hugo Strange was created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane, first appearing in Detective Comics #36. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Hugo Strange first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Detective Comics (Volume 2) #5 by Tony S. Daniel and Szymon Kudranski.
- Hugo Strange is credited with creating a smartphone app that allows users to track sightings of the Batman. This is used as a tool by criminals to make sure he isn't nearby when they commit crimes.
- 44 Appearances of Hugo Strange (Prime Earth)
- 8 Images featuring Hugo Strange (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Hugo Strange (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Hugo Strange (Prime Earth)
|GCPD Officer |
This character is or was an officer of, or held a title in the Gotham City Police Department, in any of its various incarnations. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "GCPD members" and "Police Officers" categories.
Secret Society of Super-Villains member