1868 to 1941
The Empire of Japan was formed from the 1868 Meiji Restoration, which saw the restoration of practical imperial rule to Japan. Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, Japan underwent a rapid industrialization and militarization that led to its emergence as a world power and a colonial empire. By the 1920's, influenced by economic and political turmoil, Japan succumbed to the rise of militarism, eventually joining the Axis Powers, and aggressively conquering large parts of East Asia and the Pacific. During their conquests, the Imperial Japanese military was notorious for committing numerous atrocities against civilian and military personnel.
World War II
The leaders of the Japanese Empire oversaw the development of conventional and unconventional military forces, superhuman terrorist and espionage agents, and elaborate occult enterprises, in pursuit of victory in the Second World War.
After suffering many defeats, and seeing Nazi Germany surrender to the Allies, the Japanese Empire led by its military refused to capitulate. Their stubbornness ultimately forced the United States to make the first use of nuclear weapons, and caused the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6 and August 9, 1945, respectively. This finally led to Japan's surrender and subsequent occupation by the Allies, and the adoption of a new constitution that ended the Empire of Japan.
- Imperial Japan first appeared, in comics covered by this database, in Smash Comics #2, in the Expionage / Black Ace series, when Japan and Russia went to war with one another, in China.
- Imperial Japan first appeared, in a DC comic book, in Adventure Comics #42, in that issue's Skip Schuyler story, with an air-raid against a civilian population.
- 320 Appearances of Imperial Japan
- Images that include Imperial Japan
- Organization Gallery: Imperial Japan