"The Single Synapse Theory": Engineers for Technodyne Industries are testing out a new state-of-the-art hover-tank on an airfield in Manchester, Alabama. However, a group of rival industrialists attempt to sabotage the experiment by firing a heat-seeking missile at the tank. The young speeds
- My name is Bart. I hope my spelling's okay. I just learned to write this morning ...
Synopsis for "The Single Synapse Theory"
Engineers for Technodyne Industries are testing out a new state-of-the-art hover-tank on an airfield in Manchester, Alabama. However, a group of rival industrialists attempt to sabotage the experiment by firing a heat-seeking missile at the tank. The young speedster known as Impulse arrives on the scene, racing along in a blur of motion. He has no idea what is going on, but is captivated by the presence of the missile. He inadvertently diverts the missile's course, preventing it from striking the hover-tank. Martin Beaumont, leader of the group of unsavory industrialists, records Impulse's image on his monitor display.
Later, Impulse runs back to school. It is his first day as a ninth grader at Manchester Junior High. The teacher asks the class to write a report describing their life. Ignorant of the ways of modern culture, Bart begins writing a true report detailing his relationship to the second Flash, and his lifestyle growing up in the 30th century. He brings the report home and shows it to his mentor, Max Mercury. Max warns him that he needs to keep a low profile and maintain a secret identity while living in Manchester. He cannot let anyone know of his true 30th century heritage. Max likewise learns about Bart's involvement at the missile testing site. He shows him a newspaper article revealing that Technodyne will be offering a public demonstration of their new hover-tank on Saturday.
Impulse decides to run back down to the silo site and investigate the people who attempted to destroy the tank earlier. A group of armored guards trap him inside of a darkened room. Adorned with night vision goggles, the guards surround Impulse and prepare to shoot him.
Appearing in "The Single Synapse Theory"
- Mrs. Dalrymple (First appearance)
- Richard Nordstrom (Cameo)
- Flash (Barry Allen) (Flashback only)
- Iris Allen (Flashback only)
- Flash (Wally West) (Flashback only)
- 30th Century (Flashback only)
- This issue contains flashbacks to the "Terminal Velocity" storyline from The Flash (Volume 2) #95-100.
- Cameo appearance by Richard Nordstrom. Richard appears on the front page of the Manchester Herald. He will make his first physical appearance next issue.
- This issue recaps Impulse's origin and his early life in the 30th century.