"Running from the Past": Max Mercury saves Helen Claiborne from her abusive ex-husband, Jim. Max reveals that Helen is his daughter, and Bart Allen accidentally lets slip that he and Max are superheroes.
- I screwed up, when you bolted, I just ... I didn't cover well. I think I gave too much away to Dr Claiborne. I know it's okay to make mistakes ... but that was a big one. I guess I wanted to let you know that I'm not going to run away from it. I'm going to back to her ... and take responsibility for anything I did wrong.
- — Impulse
Synopsis for "Running from the Past"
Max tells Helen that he was injured by Dr. Morlo in the 1940s and was nursed back to health by David and Laura Claiborne. Max fell in love with Laura and eventually had an affair with her. But when they were discovered by David, Max ran away and jumped forward in time. When he finally gathered up enough courage to visit Laura again, she was already dead. So, when Max was entrusted with Bart, he decided to take him to Manchester, Alabama, so he could also keep an eye on Helen.
Helen initially has a hard time accepting the man she intended to date is really her father. But she manages to calm down enough to welcome Max and Bart into her life.
Appearing in "Running from the Past"
- Jim (Helen's ex-husband)
- David Claiborne (Flashback only)
- Laura Claiborne (Flashback only)
- Dr. Morlo (Mentioned only)
- A moving box is labeled "Humberto's Pencils."
- The Flash (Volume 2)
- Teen Titans (Volume 3)
- Young Justice
- The Flash (Volume 2) Secret Files and Origins #1
- Young Justice Secret Files and Origins #1
- Teen Titans/Outsiders Secret Files and Origins (2003)
- Teen Titans/Outsiders Secret Files and Origins (2005)