"Secret Identity": Manchester Junior High School assistant principal, Randal Sheridan, notices that Preston Lindsay has several bruises across his body, and tries to get Preston to open up to him. Preston claims that he acquired
- So I shouldn't do anything? My head hurts! You're giving me too much to think about again!
- -- Impulse
Appearing in "Secret Identity"
- Susan Lindsay (First appearance)
- Hector (First appearance)
- Tom Lindsay (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Secret Identity"
Manchester Junior High School assistant principal, Randal Sheridan, notices that Preston Lindsay has several bruises across his body, and tries to get Preston to open up to him. Preston claims that he acquired the bruises simply by falling down, but Sheridan doesn't believe him. Sheridan then meets with Bart Allen and asks him to keep a close eye over Preston.
Bart and Preston take a small boat out into the swamplands of Manchester. Preston is an amateur filmmaker and wants to record what he believes will be his breakthrough film — Curse of the Swamp Monster. Aside from a superfluous supply of snakes, there is little sign of any true swamp monster. Preston's father, Tom Lindsay, comes out into the middle of the swamp, and scolds the boy for missing his curfew. He orders Preston back to the house and Bart suspects that Tom may be abusing his son.
The following day, while training with Max Mercury, Bart tells him about the problems with Preston. But Max warns him about making assumptions based on appearances.
That night, Bart discovers that Preston has returned to the swamp with his video camera. He changes into Impulse and races down there to intercept him. He discovers that Preston's swamp monster is actually a man named Hector. Hector suffers from a disease called Acromegaly, which gives him an appearance resembling that of a hideous creature. Hector's family arrives in the swamp and takes their son home.
Preston returns home, and Impulse trails after him. Bart faces off with Tom and warns him against abusing Preston any further. But Bart and Tom soon discover the true culprit is Preston's mother, Susan. Tom stops her from beating Preston, and they work together to send her to a mental health clinic to get the care she needs.
- Special thanks to Joyce Porter, E.T. Richardson Middle School.
- Preston's surname, Lindsay, is revealed in this issue.
- In this issue, Randal Sheridan's name is spelled "Randall" whereas in his first appearance in Impulse #2, it was spelled with only one L.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Impulse Vol 1 6 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Impulse series
- Images from Impulse Vol 1 6
- The Flash (Volume 2)
- Teen Titans (Volume 3)
- Young Justice
- The Flash (Volume 2) Secret Files and Origins #1
- Young Justice Secret Files and Origins #1
- Teen Titans/Outsiders Secret Files and Origins (2003)
- Teen Titans/Outsiders Secret Files and Origins (2005)
Links and References
- Impulse at Wikipedia
- Impulse at DCU Guide
- Impulse series index at DCU Guide
- Impulse series index at the Grand Comics Database Project