- Tor lorek san, bor nakka mur, Natromo faan tornek wot ur, Ter lantern ker lo Abin Sur, Taan lek lek nok -- Formorrow Sur!
- —Indigo Tribe oathsrc
Centuries ago, violent explorers came to the planet Nok and transformed it into a slave center. They built dungeons to hold the indigenous people before transporting them across the universe to fates unknown. When Abin Sur—one of the greatest Green Lanterns of all time—arrived on Nok, he allied with one of the remaining natives, Natromo, and fought against the invaders.
Together, Abin Sur and Natromo discovered the power of the Indigo light. It stemmed from a spring within a cavern in the deep jungles, from an unknown source deep within the world of Nok. The original inhabitants used its heat to forge their weapons. They soon learned that once their enemies were cut with these weapons, they momentarily changed. For a brief time, they were overcome with remorse. Through the rest of the indigenous people returned to the jungles after they were freed, Natromo stayed to teach Abin Sur the ways of the Indigo light.
They became allies and friends. Together they forged an Indigo ring, then Abin Sur left. In time he returned with a woman known as Iroque. Iroque was the first to wear an Indigo ring. It changed her. It filled her heart with compassion. He then set off to bring back others while Natromo forged more rings.
The tribe is made up of the worst killers and sadists the universe has ever seen, brought to Nok by Abin. The Tribe was to be an army at the ready for Abin Sur, but the true reason behind the forging of the rings had nothing to do with the redemption of his enemies. Following the prophecy of the Blackest Night, Abin Sur knew once it had passed the end of the Green Lantern Corps would be at hand. He knew it would be destroyed by an evil hidden from sight, an evil from within. That evil being the Guardians of the Universe. The dead Abin Sur knew the Guardians were unbeatable, so he made a plan to change them. The Indigo Tribe was simply a test. The rings were the only way to stop the Guardians' impending madness.
- All members of the Indigo Tribe abandon everything they own and devote themselves to compassion. As such, their uniforms have a simple, hand-made appearance, their bodies are adorned with the Indigo Lantern symbol written in body paint, and they carry carved, lantern-like staffs with them. The Indigo Tribe is led by the mysterious alien, Indigo-1. Indigo-1 has stated that her Tribe exists to spread goodwill throughout the universe. However their true motives and intentions have yet to be revealed, and there may be a dark side to their actions; one of their most recent recruits, William Hand, appears to been coerced into accepting his staff and ring.
- The indigo light of compassion is the most elusive light within the emotional spectrum. Very few can wield the indigo light because it requires the user to give themselves over completely to the universe and be able to feel the emotions of every living creature in the universe.
- The Indigo Tribe possesses two powers unique only to their Corps members. The first is their ability to teleport. While other Lanterns can travel across space at high speeds and access wormholes for long distance travel, Indigo Tribe members are capable of teleport vast distances instantly. The range at which they can teleport is based on how much charge their rings have. The other ability the Indigo tribe has is the power to channel the powers of the other lights of the emotional spectrum. When in close enough proximity to a Lantern from another corps, Indigo tribesmen can channel that light to create constructs from said light and replicate the unique abilities of each corps. Examples include copying the Red Lantern Corps ability to vomit acidic plasma and the Sinestro Corps power to create constructs based off the target's fears. The exceptions to this power are the black and white lights.
- 27 Appearances of Indigo Tribe (New Earth)
- 7 Images that include Indigo Tribe (New Earth)
- Organization Gallery: Indigo Tribe (New Earth)