Isamot Kol was a Lizarkon, one of the different races indigenous to Thanagar, and a veteran soldier of the Rann-Thanagar War. A member of the Imperial Thanagarian Army, Kol was scheduled to be executed for killing his commanding officer because his superior wanted to surrender to a squadron of Rannians. Kol explained that he hated cowards, and that after killing his superior, he and the rest of his squad defeated the Rannians, and that his fellow soldiers attempted to report the superior's death as an accident, but Kol, who personally held truth as a guiding principle, refused to lie.
At the exact moment before he was beheaded, however, he was saved by a Green Lantern power ring, the powerful weapon assigned to each member of the Green Lantern Corps. The Corps was in the process of recruiting 7,200 new members in an effort to rebuild their ranks following their destruction at the hands of the villain Parallax. The rings allowed their bearers to conjure virtually any object or form of energy limited only by the imagination and willpower of the wearer, and thus the ring, which included a sentient computer, freed Kol from his bonds, and allowed him to escape his captors. He was brought for Green Lantern training to the planet Oa, home to the extraterrestrial Guardians of the Universe, who oversaw the Corps.
Kol was given a temporary badge and partnered with fellow new recruit Vath Sarn, a Rannian who was also plucked from the war. In contrast to Sarn's discipline and adaptability, Kol still saw Sarn as an enemy from the war, and instigated conflict with him as they began their first assignment, diverting ships away from Star 38, which, like several recent stars, had begun to show signs of instability. Kol was also slow to adapt to Corps protocols, questioning his orders, and even threatening an Okaaran hospital ship that fired upon him after refusing to change course from the star. The star eventually went supernova, and the two new recruits valiantly attempted to pull the ship from the ensuing black hole, but were sucked in. They were eventually saved by GL trainer Kilowog, and rendezvoused with other Green Lanterns in learning the source of the recent supernovas was the Spider Guild, a group of humanoid arachnids from the Vega star system that were planning to attack Oa. The GLs returned to Oa, where they successfully repelled the attack.
- Kol's first name, Isamot, is the last name of editor Peter Tomasi spelled backwards.
- Isamot's Green Lantern partner is a Rannian named Vath Sarn. Since Rannians are the mortal enemies of Thanagarians, this alliance was a major struggle. Fortunately, they have built a truce through their mutual respect for one another and their honor of the Green Lantern Corps.
- Isamot Kol's constructs are primarily Thanagarian weapons having spent a large amount of time on Thanagar and with fellow Thanagarian prisoners. Most of his constructs have scales along the outside of them.
- 51 Appearances of Isamot Kol (New Earth)
- 12 Images featuring Isamot Kol (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Isamot Kol (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Isamot Kol (New Earth)
- Green Lantern at dccomics.com
- Isamot Kol at Wikipedia.org
- Isamot Kol at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
|Green Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to act as their sector's Green Lantern and to protect it from interstellar threats with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Green Lantern Corps members category."