Stalnoivolk, the Steel Wolf, was a Soviet super-soldier.
Ivan Illyich Gort was born in Russia in the early 1900s. As a young man, he participated in a series of secret experiments that gave him superhuman physical characteristics. He was created to serve as a symbol of Soviet resistance during World War II and given the code name Stalnoivolk (translated as Steel Wolf). It was the Russians' intent to create an army of such men, but General Secretary Joseph Stalin destroyed the formula that created him and had all of the scientists involved with the project killed. Stalin feared that an army of Stalnoivolks might pose a threat to his rule, so he made sure that there could only be one - one that he could control. Ivan proved to be fiercely loyal to Stalin and was intricately involved in Stalin's purges in the Ukraine. After the war, Stalnoivolk was discredited and sent to Siberia where he lived as a peasant for decades.
Shortly before the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Kremlin assigned Major Zastrow to locate Stalnoivolk. They wanted to reactivate him for use against super-powered threats outside the U.S.S.R. - specifically, the American super-hero Firestorm.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Strength
- Decelerated Aging
- Military Protocol
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Tactical Analysis
- Multilingualism: Ivan Illyich can speak both Russian and English
- Ivan holds to old hardliner communist dogma, and believes that every Russian leader since Stalin is little more than an ineffectual bumbler.
- 22 Appearances of Ivan Illyich Gort (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Ivan Illyich Gort (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Ivan Illyich Gort (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ivan Illyich Gort (New Earth)
|Firestorm Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of Firestorm and any of his supporting cast or members of the Firestorm Matrix. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Firestorm Villains category."